Tach Cable Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach Cable Oil Leak

Have just rec'd a great '82 GS1100G w/ GK trim from my brother who found another just like it (even same black color) with fewer miles. Have been working on getting the administrative issues out of the way and have been plagued by a puddle of oil that has appeared under the bike in the garage. Have tried to identify the source and talked with my bro about it and he indicated he thought it might be the tach cable entry into the top of the engine. I checked that and found that it is a likely source as it is coated with oil and there is very little above it to be leaking on it. Have checked the manual I have and there is very little ("remove the tach cable.....replace the tach cable") for me to get a handle on as to what is involved with removing the cable and replacing it in such a way that it doesn't leak.
    What am I in to....do I need to get a replacement "o" ring to install?... do I just goober it up with some sort of sealer?....do I need a new tach cable?...what am I into???
    Thanks for the help!!
    I am reasonably handy with tools but this is my first bike. Think I can handle it if I just get an idea of the landscape.
    Pete

One of the esteemed members of this forum prepared a piece incuding instructions and photos on this repair. I can't find it right now, but one of the learned number will share it with you. I am thinking bwinger or skreemer but it may have been someone else who couldn't sleep one night.

Comment

Check out numbers 19-25 here. http://alpha-sports.com/spst/1982%20GS1100G/12.htm

There are two seals in the tach drive assembly. Replace those and Ill bet that youll be ready to go. Before I ordered anything, Id check/lube the tach cable and inspect the gear in the head, just to be sure everything else is OK.

Comment

Here's the link that covers replacing the seals.

Comment

Yep. that link to Brian's (bwringers) site tells you what you need to know. Its not so much replacing the tach cable, as it is removing the tach cable drive unit from engine head and replacing the seal in that unit. Before you get replacement parts beware that there are two diffeernt seal rings, probalby want to get both.

On your GK you will not be able to see things from the same angle as in Brians pics. You will probably want to remove the tank and maybe at least one of the fairing lowers to get better access to this.
          Last edited by Redman; 07-30-2006, 04:01 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I've got to ask...Pete Gierer, rgierer...are you two related? Maybe the two brothers mentioned in Pete's first post?

Hap

Comment

Yes

Rob is the generous younger brother that made a great deal on the GS1100G to me his older brother.
              At the present time we live about 6 miles apart and are looking forward to riding together.

Comment

Thanks

The information is great, will get to work as soon as I get the parts.
                Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Gierer
                  Rob is the generous younger brother that made a great deal on the GS1100G to me his older brother.
                  At the present time we live about 6 miles apart and are looking forward to riding together.
                  That is sooooo cool!

Hap:-D

Comment

Working...
                  X