electical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

electical

my dads 1977 gs 750 has a major issue that we cant find the cause of. None of the electrical components turn on. Brand new battery, fully charged. Checked the key switch, it works perfect, no broken ground. The only recent wiring we did was a dyna electronic ignition. Bike ran after that was installed. Can someone point us in the direction of something else to check? We're out of ideas.

Have you checked the fuses? Otherwise start with a voltmeter on the red terminal and see where its broken.

Comment

None, nothing, you say.

Some of the single things that could cause all-everything to go out:
      - Main fuse.
      - Main lead connection to the main fuse (back side of fuse block)
      - Main lead connection (red wire) to battery (+).
      - Ground lead (black wire) connection to battery (-).
      - Ground lead (black wire) connection to the ground (frame).

If you dont have a volt meter or a test lamp/probe, you are going to want one.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

theres 12 volts getting to the key switch, and the key ground is good. key has been tested and is good.

Comment

If fuses check out ok,sounds like you may have bad connections inside the key tumbler itself.The mating surfaces under there get corroded and wont allow proper contact.It's not too hard to take apart,but do it slowly to study how it goes back together.I just clean up the mating surfaces with a fine wire brush and put it back together..let us know what you find out..
          It is not who is right, but what is right, that is of importance. - Thomas Huxley

Comment

i tested the key switch, and all the circuits had continuity when they were supposto. Its confusing me because it looks like the problem should be in the key switch, because nothing at all turns on and powers getting to it. Any other circuit or switch that could kill power to everything? Bike was working properly, it just randomly stopped working like after a week of sitting.

Comment

Working...
            X