Spraying 'Pam' on gaskets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spraying 'Pam' on gaskets.

I heard someone does this when installing gaskets.(where no sealer is used) Has anyone tried this? Did it help seal? Does it make removing gasket easier? Would be good for the 'tip' section if it really works. KK.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Sounds like someone is frustrated with his pillion. :-)

Kim

Comment

Re: Spraying 'Pam' on gaskets.

When installing gaskets, I use my finger and smear a thin film of engine oil on the surfaces. I dont know why Pam would be any better??

Earl

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
      I heard someone does this when installing gaskets.(where no sealer is used) Has anyone tried this? Did it help seal? Does it make removing gasket easier? Would be good for the 'tip' section if it really works. KK.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I've never heard of putting oil on a gasket. That would promote leaking/shorter service life,especially fiber gaskets. Once oil penetrates,it breaks down the gasket. A 'dry' fiber gasket, properly torqued,should be a better barrier to oil than one that is already coated in it. Your method must work for you though,so don't take this as arguing.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

:-) :-) :-) Doesnt bother me at all. eh eh Its always worked for me and if anyone doesnt agree.....no big deal. I guess that why we call it a discussion group. LOL You could very well be correct.

Earl

I've never heard of putting oil on a gasket. That would promote leaking/shorter service life,especially fiber gaskets. Once oil penetrates,it breaks down the gasket. A 'dry' fiber gasket, properly torqued,should be a better barrier to oil than one that is already coated in it. Your method must work for you though,so don't take this as arguing.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I've also heard of applying a thin film of grease or oil to fiber gaskets. I'm rebuiling my first motorcycle engine so I don't have any direct knowedge on the subject however.

I would avoid using an automotive sealant. While it would seal great, I don't think you would ever get the parts apart again. Prying on aluminum is not a good idea.

Comment

Back in tech school, we were taught to clean both mating surfaces with gasoline or a solvent and install gaskets (fibre) dry. Rubber gaskets on the other hand were lubes lightly with either motor oil or a light coating of grease.
              GY

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
                I've also heard of applying a thin film of grease or oil to fiber gaskets. I'm rebuiling my first motorcycle engine so I don't have any direct knowedge on the subject however.

I would avoid using an automotive sealant. While it would seal great, I don't think you would ever get the parts apart again. Prying on aluminum is not a good idea.
                Like Earl i have used a thin smear of oil or automotive grease on fibre gaskets and never had any problems, although they can be tough to get apart.

Comment

I think I have used either a smear of oil or light grease (vaseline) or silicone on every type of gasket I've installed.

I've had people tell me that it is never done on metal gaskets, but I do it anyway, in the belief that it helps the metal slide into a clean set when compressed. Tried it dry, results were poor and had to do it again...with another gasket. With the lube it works first time.

Only reason I can think of to worry about it is that if you put the gasket down after oiling/greasing it, you may get specks of dirt that you don't need, so it has to be done immediately before installation, and ALL surfaces must be extremely clean.
                  Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

What exactly is the reason for putting oil/grease on a new fiber gasket? To somehow assist in sealing?To make removal any easier? I know a tiny spot of grease can help hold a gasket steady while you put parts together.
                    But you guys are saying to put grease on a fiber gasket(such as the cam cover)and the weeping/leaking will stop?I'm not set in my ways and if it works I'll try it. All I know is I'm sick of the results I've been getting installing dry.I can see where grease could help with removal,but the sealing part has me snookered.

Comment

Keith, the last gasket I installed on my 750 was a fiber valve cover gasket. I cleaned the mating metal surfaces, and smeared a very light film of oil onto one side of the gasket and put it in place on the head. Then lightly (with one finger) smeared the remaining side and set the valve cover in place. It has never leaked a drop.
                      Maybe the reason it doesnt leak is that you were correct in your other post. Oil breaks down the gasket surfaces and the little bit I use is just enough to facilitate the sealing process. I never use any kind of gasket forming material or sealer. My reasoning is that if whatever you use can squish out on the inside in little knots or strings, that stuff can possible come loose and clog an oil passage.
                      I had much rather chance a leak than an errant glob of crud blocking my oil passages. I sometimes will use a little grease if I'm having a difficult time getting a gasket to stay in place.

Earl

[quote="KEITH KRAUSE"]What exactly is the reason for putting oil/grease on a new fiber gasket?

Comment

Gasket sealing

I'd like to add my .02 worth on this subject. I was instructed too many years ago to divulge that a thin coat of RTV (i.e. silicone) is the best way to ensure opitmum sealing. What surprised me when informed of this was how thin a coat of RTV is ideal. Taking for granted that the mating surfaces are clean and flat, the proper amount is what is left when wiped off. In other words, smear on the absolute thinnest film of silicone possible. If you can wipe any off, there's too much on there. This procedure would prevent the possibility cited by someone else of strings or gobs of the stuff squishing out during tightening.
                        I've built quite a few engines and have been very happy with the results. I'm sure there are many other ways that work very well too. Just as with anything else, its a matter of personal preference. Like I said, just my .02 worth. Thanks and Happy New Year everyone!! Lets make it a safe one!

Comment

What exactly is the reason for putting oil/grease on a new fiber gasket? To somehow assist in sealing?To make removal any easier? I know a tiny spot of grease can help hold a gasket steady while you put parts together.
                          But you guys are saying to put grease on a fiber gasket(such as the cam cover)and the weeping/leaking will stop?I'm not set in my ways and if it works I'll try it. All I know is I'm sick of the results I've been getting installing dry.I can see where grease could help with removal,but the sealing part has me snookered.
                          I don't know the answer, all i know is a friend recommended doing this (30 years ago) ive never had a gasket leak after installing it since? maybe just luck? but it works for me Wrench.

Comment

A thin coating of wheel bearing grease on both fiber and metal gaskets has always worked for me (even on old brit bikes). I never use permetex or any other gasket "sealant "

Comment

Re: Gasket sealing

Originally posted by Al
                              I'd like to add my .02 worth on this subject. I was instructed too many years ago to divulge that a thin coat of RTV (i.e. silicone) is the best way to ensure opitmum sealing. What surprised me when informed of this was how thin a coat of RTV is ideal. Taking for granted that the mating surfaces are clean and flat, the proper amount is what is left when wiped off. In other words, smear on the absolute thinnest film of silicone possible. If you can wipe any off, there's too much on there. This procedure would prevent the possibility cited by someone else of strings or gobs of the stuff squishing out during tightening.
                              I've built quite a few engines and have been very happy with the results. I'm sure there are many other ways that work very well too. Just as with anything else, its a matter of personal preference. Like I said, just my .02 worth. Thanks and Happy New Year everyone!! Lets make it a safe one!
                              I do the same. It must be stressed that the amount of silicone used is VERY thin. If you don't feel up to that, don't use anything, as you don't want chunks of silicone blocking your oil passages. 8O
                              Kevin
                              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                              X