Choke Pick Up Tube

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke Pick Up Tube

In the process of cleaning my carbs on my '79 GS850 I broke off what I believe is the choke pick up tube that is pressed into the carb body. It is pressed into the bottom of the body and hangs down into the bowl. It has two sets of 4 holes. Can I get a replacement that will press into the body? I got the broken one out.

Probably not, you may need to replace the carb.

Comment

I had the same thing happen to me when cleaning the carbs on my '79 GS850. I accidentally dropped the carb body on to the bench. Not a huge fall but it must have caught the choke tube just right because it bent it. Can you solder the two pieces back together or JB Weld them? I tried to gently straighten it and it cracked but did not break completely off. I was able to get some JB Weld into the cracked area and it works fine. I had thought of completely removing the tube as you have done and replacing it but there are no replacements to be had. You either have to replace the carb or at least the body. I think a new tube could be fabricated quite easily though depending on how handy you are! It's simply a brass tube sealed on one end with holes drilled in it. If you can find some brass tube stock that's very close in diameter you could plug the end with some JB Weld or solder a piece of brass onto it, drill your holes (with the right sized bit) and press or JB it back into the body. That was my next step had the first fix failed. Craft and hobby stores sell the brass tube stock inexpensively. I've also come acoss pens that have brass ink tubes in them. Although small in diameter they still might work. What might work perfectly is those brass tubes you get in a "Motion Pro" carb balancer kit. Just some ideas.

Comment

Brass Tube

I am doubtful about repairing it. Mine broke right where the first four holes are located. I will do some checking for other brass tube of the same diameter. I also noticed that the rebuild kits for '80-'83 GS850's have this tube or at least a very similar one. Does anyone know if that would fit? I also found a cycle salvage yard that will "break apart" a set of carbs and sell one to me for $70. Is that a good deal?

Comment

Originally posted by revhink
          I am doubtful about repairing it. Mine broke right where the first four holes are located. I will do some checking for other brass tube of the same diameter. I also noticed that the rebuild kits for '80-'83 GS850's have this tube or at least a very similar one. Does anyone know if that would fit? I also found a cycle salvage yard that will "break apart" a set of carbs and sell one to me for $70. Is that a good deal?
          That's a rip-off. You should easily be able to find a complete set of carbs on e-bay for under that price. I think you need VM26's....if that's the case, this would be an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-...spagenameZWDVW

And I also think a member, Robinjo, has a good working set for sale for $60.
          Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
          "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
          1982 GS1100E
          1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by frosty5011
            That's a rip-off. You should easily be able to find a complete set of carbs on e-bay for under that price. I think you need VM26's....if that's the case, this would be an example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-...spagenameZWDVW

And I also think a member, Robinjo, has a good working set for sale for $60.
            Thanks for the "heads up". He wanted $225 for a set that needed cleaned.

Comment

Originally posted by revhink
              Thanks for the "heads up". He wanted $225 for a set that needed cleaned.
              :shock: :shock: :shock:

I will sell you a set for half that.:-D

(or for $60 like frosty said)

Comment

Fixed, I think

I had a bike repair guy tell me that the tube was just an overflow tube. He said that the carbs would work fine with the broke-off tube. I wasn't real confident in his assessment.

I found a set of carbs on Ebay. Call me anal, but I want it right. Now I get to clean out another set of carbs. It is starting to look like next spring before she runs again.

Comment

Originally posted by revhink View Post
                  I had a bike repair guy tell me that the tube was just an overflow tube. He said that the carbs would work fine with the broke-off tube. I wasn't real confident in his assessment.

I found a set of carbs on Ebay. Call me anal, but I want it right. Now I get to clean out another set of carbs. It is starting to look like next spring before she runs again.

Good luck, don't forget the hole and passage in the bowl that the choke tube sits in.

Comment

Working...
                  X