1978 gs 400 front DRUM brakes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 gs 400 front DRUM brakes??

Im looking at buying my first bike, a 1978 gs 400, but I am slightly concerned about the front braking system, and its originality. Normally I see disc brakes on the front of these GS cycles, however the one I am looking at clearly has a front drum brake. I am wondering if this is stock, or if someone swapped out the front discs in favor of the drums from another cycle!? The front end still looks very stock, im just wondering if any other gs 400's left the showroom with a drum front brake in 78? thanks guys!

Yes normal for some older bikes to have drum brakes, front and rear.
    Keith
    -------------------------------------------
    1980 GS1000S, blue and white
    2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

yes, the 77 that I just sold had a front and rear drum...you can change to a front disc, but it requires a good amount of work..

Comment

Yup, a front drum is normal on this bike. My first bike, a '78 GS400, had one. I think there was an up-market model that year or the following year with a disc -- the drum was the base model.

Properly adjusted, the drum actually works just fine on this lightweight bike, and is more tolerant of neglect. The early disc brakes weren't all that wonderful anyway.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Drums are not the horrable thing you may think they are. The drums on the front of a GS are double leading shoes, and they're really quite large diameter. It's not like we're talking nighthawk or TW200 front drums. If you have them adjusted, and broken in, they will stop you more than adequately. AND you don't need to worry about bleeding brakes ;-)
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

My '77 GS400X has the twin leading shoe drum. The X model was the 'economy' model, spoke wheels, drum front brake & no starter. The straight models (B & C, I think) had alloy wheels & a front disc. Maybe not in '77, but definitely in '78

If you get that front drum adjusted right, it's a decent stopper, but they do fade just a bit. It took me a while to get mine juuust right, but I am fully satisfied with it at this point. Drum brakes worked fine for the first 70 or so years of motorcycling history, nothing wrong with 'em.

If you really want a disc, I am pretty sure that the GS550E uses pretty much all the same suspension parts as the 400, so you could swap in some 550 forks, wheel, rotor & master cylinder.

Once again, though, nuttin' wrong with a properly adjusted twin leading shoe.

Comment

the 550 is not a direct swap. Different size wheel, despite the same length fork legs. The leg diameters are different as well.

you could probally use the disk, brake, and caliper though. Hmm... I happen to have a set of those, and a disk laying around. You'd need a new front wheel, or at minimum a new hub and spokes. The 400 fork already has the mounting lugs for a caliper.

The GS400 has a 17" front wheel, and the 550 has a 19" front wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
                The GS400 has a 17" front wheel, and the 550 has a 19" front wheel.
                Not to pick nits here...but the 400 has 18" wheels front and rear. And if anyone wants a set of 18" mag wheels and full disk brake system off my old 450 they can have it for CHEAP - easy upgrade for a drum brake bike.

Ed
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

so this may be a dumb question, but where can I find these front brake shoes? It seems that every place I call locally either tells me they only sell brake pads for disc brake models, or the shoes are discontinued. its definatly looking a bit discouraging. haha

Comment

You should still be able to get them from a dealer. Bike Bandit has them for $67 per set.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism
                      Not to pick nits here...but the 400 has 18" wheels front and rear. And if anyone wants a set of 18" mag wheels and full disk brake system off my old 450 they can have it for CHEAP - easy upgrade for a drum brake bike.

Ed
                      Mine too. 18". I''l stick with what i've got, I'm not fixing anything that ain't broke in the first place.

Interesting though, the lugs for the caliper mount on mine are on the front of the fork.

Comment

well I'll be. It is 18". Where did I get 17" in my head from?

Comment

Originally posted by West
                          Mine too. 18". I''l stick with what i've got, I'm not fixing anything that ain't broke in the first place.

Interesting though, the lugs for the caliper mount on mine are on the front of the fork.
                          My thoughts exactly when I decided I'm keeping mine. Besides that, you can always change your mind later. It'll also at least give you some experience with your options and make it more your choice.

I think you got over excited about the super sticky tires.

Comment

The late GS400's had a 17" front.

Comment

Drums are not the horrable thing you may think they are. The drums on the front of a GS are double leading shoes, and they're really quite large diameter. It's not like we're talking nighthawk or TW200 front drums. If you have them adjusted, and broken in, they will stop you more than adequately. AND you don't need to worry about bleeding brakes ;-)
                              EXACTLY!! That's why I actually prefer rear drum brakes vs. disc brakes. To me they actually have more stopping power than a single disc brake. The rear end of a perfect motorcycle IMHO is a shaft drive on the left and a drum brake on the right. Guess that's why I love old-school Yammy 750 Secas so much!

Comment

Working...
                              X