Replacin the Stator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacin the Stator

I think I have determined that my stator is bad after following the fault finding chart. Luckily the guy I bought the bike from was good enough to knock off 200.00 dollars from the price because the bike was not charging. The bike is a 1982 GS1100G. My question is will I need any special tools to replace the stator? From looking at the cover it looks like it will come off easy enough. Thanks for any help out there guys. Also if there are any tips on changing the stator please feel free to send them. :mrgreen:

I've heard that you will need an impact screwdriver to get the Phillips screws out from the inside of the cover. You should also dump out the oil, solder connections, and use sealing shrink wrap.

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
      I've heard that you will need an impact screwdriver to get the Phillips screws out from the inside of the cover. You should also dump out the oil, solder connections, and use sealing shrink wrap.
      Don't forget the gasket! I have taken stuff apart and realized that I forgot to get a gasket prior to disassembly! The toughest part will be getting the stator cover off the bike due to the magnetic pull. DON'T use a screwdriver to pry on the gasket surface! Use locktight on all bolts that are inside the cover.

Hap

Comment

Before removing any bolts from the cover you need to disconnect the wiring leads, which you will find going back and around the starter motor.
        The wires come back around the starter and then run up to the gas under the tank. They may be fastened by twist ties by the starter. On mine (same model as yours) the starter cover had to be removed to loosen the wires.

Get a piece of carboard, or a small box, and poke a straight line of holes in it. This is for the cover bolts, which are of different lengths. You remove them in order, and put the bolts in successive holes in the line. Re-installing is now easy, and all the bolts are guaranteed to fit.

Drain the engine oil. Keep a few rags handy as you will get oil dripping from the engine once the stator cover is off.

Someone gave a suggestion about a wire wrap on the cover to defeat the magnetism...you might look backwards in this section for that suggestion.

Otherwise, once the bolts are removed, you just pull it off, however that is easier said than done. The magnet is STRONG, so you need to have the cover quite clean and your hands also must be clean, to give you a good grip. Pull hard, straight back, and it will come off.

DO NOT TRY TO PRY IT OFF!

The gasket can probably be re-used.

The wires can now be fed past the starter and out.

You will definitely need an impact driver for removal of the three bolts that hold the stator in place, so you need something that can support the cover when removing the bolts.

Clean the cover VERY well, paying extra attention to the bolt holes and the bolts. The bolts should all be the same size. (I mention that because when I had my stator re-wound and installed, the mechanic used different sizes, and one bolt came loose)

You now need a thread locker (Loctite is the best-known name). Use the BLUE type, which is OK for small bolts. Do N O T use red as it will bind them so tight the bolt is likely to break with next removal.

Installing the new stator is the reverse of above. You may want to try the impact driver to set the stator bolts very snugly.
        Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Working...
        X