fork seals after trailering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fork seals after trailering

I just moved to new mexico and I trailered my 79 gs850. Everything seemed to go fine, until I noticed some oil leaking from one of the forks. There were a couple times at low speed where I went over some uneven road and the trailer/bike rocked back and forth, side to side. I am guessing that one of those times the one fork leg was over compressed. Does this mean I need to replace fork seals or can I just make sure oil levels are equal again? On the fork leg in question, I can see small drops of oil on the leg, nothing on the other side.

Thanks.

Luke

You can clean it up and ride it but I'll bet you it will continue to leak. It's time to replace at least that one seal.

Comment

When you trailer a bike it's best to get a little weight off the front end and use some means to keep it from compressing at all. A block between the fender nad lower triple works well. Just use something to protect the fender. Then use your straps to secure the bike. If you just use the straps and pull the front end down you've got constant pressure on the seals for the duration of the haul.

Comment

I haven't heard of keeping the forks from compressing, I always thought it was better to strap down the bike enough to keep it from moving around and let the shocks do what they are designed to do. I didn't have the bike cranked down as far as it would go (forks bottomed out), just enough tension to keep the straps tight over bumps etc. Any other input on correct trailer tie down methods (for next time)?

Luke

Comment

Working...
        X