3.5 inch GS1150 wheel on an 82 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3.5 inch GS1150 wheel on an 82 1100

A question for those who have already done this conversion. What exactly did you have to do to make the swap? Did you need to make custom spacers, or did the stock spacers from one or the other work? Does the torque arm need to be modified? How about the brake setup, can you use the 1100 hanger, and caliper on an 1150 disc? Etc.

It's all pretty easy stuff to figure out, but I figured somebody could save me the headache. Thanks!

Well, I guess the knowledge on this particular conversion is lacking a bit. So I'll answer my own question for the next guy.

I needed to use the 1100 axel, and the 1100 sprocket side spacer. I used the 1150 caliper, as the spacing is slightly off with the 1100 caliper on the 1150 disc. The 1100 caliper could be used if a spacer was used between the hanger and the first wheel spacer. I needed to make a ~8mm spacer for between the hanger and swingarm. The last thing was to reshape the torque arm to miss the tire. I did this by slicing the tube, on one side bending, and then welded it back together. The arm now follws the path of the swingarm until it cuts in front of the shock, and over to the caliper.

The end result is that I can now put on my favorite back tire, a Dunolop D205 140/80ZR17. Its a worthwhile upgrade, especially so if you already have the parts kicking around. That said, I probably would go for a gsxr 4.5 wheel if I had to buy the part

Comment

Originally posted by lhanscom View Post
      The 1100 caliper could be used if a spacer was used between the hanger and the first wheel spacer. I needed to make a ~8mm spacer for between the hanger and swingarm.
      Luke, do you think the 1100 caliper will work then? Of course with the 1100 disk. I am wondering if there will be any issues getting the 1100 disk to bolt up to the rim?

Originally posted by lhanscom View Post
      The end result is that I can now put on my favorite back tire, a Dunolop D205 140/80ZR17. Its a worthwhile upgrade, especially so if you already have the parts kicking around. That said, I probably would go for a gsxr 4.5 wheel if I had to buy the part
      Have you finished this yet? Does the 140 tire fit OK in the stock 1100 swingarm? Or do you have an upgraded swingarm?

Also, what width is your front rim on your 1100?

Thanks for any info buddy

Comment

You can make the 1100 caliper work, you'll just have to adjust the spacing.

This is done, the 140 fits right on with plenty of space after the torque arm is adjusted. As for the front, I don't remember, but it is the stock wheel.

Comment

I have run a 140 in my 1100 swingarm before, there is enough space, probably even a 150 could fit. The 140 had about a cm on each side.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

If I put my 3.5" rim on the back I can run a set of GT501s which I like very much. This would be if I keep the stock front rim. I would then have a 140 on the rear and a 100 up front. Any thoughts on how that might handle? Should be good right?

Comment

That should be fine, as long as you're happy with the mediocre performance of the 501 :razz:

Step up to the radial world, you'll never look back. I'm not sure if that bike of yours has enough power to make a difference, but I know that my 1150 required a better tire then the 501 to not spin the rear. My stock 1100 though, isn't nearly as picky, yours is probably somewhere in between those 2 marks.

Comment

Working...
              X