Cam cover gasket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam cover gasket.

Well i just got my cam cover gasket, and was wondering if I should use grease or something on both sides to hold it and easy removal, it's the cheap paper kind
    thanks

I put oil on them and they have been on and off a few times, no sticking and they are like new.

Comment

Yep, a little grease or oil before you button up, and they don't stick so bad. You can re-use them quite often.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

did it with a thin film, and now it's leaking from th front 2 rubber half moon plugs..wow

Comment

Replace the plugs. It will go away. they are prolly old and hard anyhow...

Comment

Originally posted by Arkaloid
            Replace the plugs. It will go away. they are prolly old and hard anyhow...
            Will do, just hope new gasket comes off clean

Comment

heres the work in progress

Comment

Well what I just thought of was that the old gasket was the rubber kind (thicker) and I replaced it with a paper one. So it's not thick enough in spots and leaks from top of end plug So I will probably get the rubber kind to have easy access

Comment

Originally posted by bostrom155
                  Well what I just thought of was that the old gasket was the rubber kind (thicker) and I replaced it with a paper one. So it's not thick enough in spots and leaks from top of end plug So I will probably get the rubber kind to have easy access
                  If the rubber gasket was one of the silicone "RealGaskets" (mine is orange) then it is reuseable and has a lifetime warranty, ..... food for thought!

Comment

A lot of the Suzuki OEM cam cover gaskets are a semi-hard type, rubber coated material. I use a c-hair thin layer of grey RTV on both the surfaces of the head and cam cover- as the factory manual for my model dictates. The gasket comes off in one pull when it comes time to do an adjustment, and all the sealant comes with it. The trick is making sure the gasket surfaces are 100% spotless before you do this the first time. I have not had a single leak until I began following what the manual says to do, word for word.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I just replaced my paper gasket with a silicone RealGasket. Wish I new about them BEFORE I had my oil leak! I also replaced the half moon end plugs. Installed them backwards as some of you suggested.

I learned a good lesson here:
                      Do you have a great road adventure that you would like to share? How about a bike repair gone bad? Put your story here and share it with the rest of us.

Comment

The RealGaskets have quite a following. I have been wanting to try one, but I have such good luck with the OEM that it's hard to bring myself to do it.

I read that post you linked and it seems lots of folks are adament about not using any sealant. I myself am a huge advocate of doing everything by the book, so that's why I use sealant. I have not had a leak at the cam cover in about 45k 1100E miles. Last leak I had was becasue I didn't use sealant at the advice of others.

The Suzuki Factory manual is my bible...
                        Currently bikeless
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
                          The RealGaskets have quite a following. I have been wanting to try one, but I have such good luck with the OEM that it's hard to bring myself to do it.

I read that post you linked and it seems lots of folks are adament about not using any sealant. I myself am a huge advocate of doing everything by the book, so that's why I use sealant. I have not had a leak at the cam cover in about 45k 1100E miles. Last leak I had was becasue I didn't use sealant at the advice of others.

The Suzuki Factory manual is my bible...
                          I hear you buddy but I assure you, decades of experienced mechanics will tell you the same thing. Don't use any RTV on your valve cover gasket or you are just asking for a leak.

My own experience has found them to be right.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                            I hear you buddy but I assure you, decades of experienced mechanics will tell you the same thing. Don't use any RTV on your valve cover gasket or you are just asking for a leak.

My own experience has found them to be right.
                            Too bad the maker of your motorcycle disagrees!

Again, I follow the shop manual becasue I insist on doing thing correctly. :-D

You can ignore the Suzuki Engineers if you like, but 45k miles of no leaks and RTV sealant is proof...
                            Currently bikeless

Comment

Hey, isn't your bike leaking right now? :razz:
                              Currently bikeless

Comment

Working...
                              X