Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please Help!!! Suzuki GS will not start!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please Help!!! Suzuki GS will not start!!!

I just bought a 1981 Suzuki GS 550. When I first bought it, it was running good. Now, it will not even start!!!

I know that spark is reaching the plugs and the tank-vent is clear. But still, it seems like a fuel problem and it will not so much as even sputter.

I know the tank petcocks are problematic on these bikes, but I disconnected the feed line, hooked it up to a bottle, and still there is nothing.

Anyone who has experience with these older GS models, I would appreciate your insight.

Thank you!

Update:

It will start if it has been sitting for about an hour. If you try to start it right after shutting it off...nothing.

WTF???

Comment

Starting Probs

You say it Will start after its been sitting for several hours, but wont start after you kill it??? Thats wierd... thats like the opposite of my problem...
      Mine wont start after its been sitting for several hours...I push the start button, it comes close to starting.... then i try it again... nothing.... then i kick it a few times and it roars to life....
      If i ride it for a bit, park it for about 15-20 minutes, it will start up no problem.. but if it sits for numerous hours.. gotta kick it...

Anyway... i was told to check the Ignition Points... they may be corroded and need cleaning or replacement.....
      Also.. check the carbs, choke, etc...

Anyway.. hopefully we both can get our lil problems fixed...

peace

Comment

You say it Will start after its been sitting for several hours, but wont start after you kill it??? Thats wierd... thats like the opposite of my problem...

there are numerous ways too check. but first it sounds like your problem is more electrical than fuel realted.
        • is the battery fresh and full of juice
        • is the ground wire not shorted out that connects too the block
        • are the leads too the solelnoid makeing good contact
        • is it overheating? have you checked your plugs too make they are not burning too hot.
        • timing
        • are your plugs fouled with soot
        • are your lead wires too ur sparkplugs not damaged or frayed
        • does your battery keep its charge. if not then your generator may be on the blitz.
        • does the fuse have corrosion on it and is it makeing good contact

Now for the fuel one. it can very well be the diaphragm in the petcock. make sure your gas is not flowing into the carbs after it shuts off and then it overflows on the ground. you will see gas dripping out the bottom if that is the case. did you try just running it on prime?
        I have used this site before for trouble shooting my older bikes. I have had to use a shutoff valve before on one.
        http://www.dansmc.com/mc_repaircourse.htm

Comment

Working...
        X