Bad ring or bent valve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad ring or bent valve?

There are good days and bad days, this is one that is both. After changing the head gasget and lots of messing around with the cams to get them right (yes you can be 180 out and still run), now I am getting oil out of the breather tub and what smells like exhuast smoke.

This is on a 1980 Gl 850. Did i make a booboo and bend a valve or could I have a bad ring? Dont have a compression tester(next investment).

Any thoughts would help.

Re: Bad ring or bent valve?

I only see two possibilities. Either you have a bent valve and it isnt closing, or the valve timing is off. The first thing I would do is to recheck and double check to be certain the valve timing is exactly on the marks.

Earl

Originally posted by gadget
    There are good days and bad days, this is one that is both. After changing the head gasget and lots of messing around with the cams to get them right (yes you can be 180 out and still run), now I am getting oil out of the breather tub and what smells like exhuast smoke.

This is on a 1980 Gl 850. Did i make a booboo and bend a valve or could I have a bad ring? Dont have a compression tester(next investment).

Any thoughts would help.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Did check the timing marks thay are bang on so it must be a valve(damn that means take it apart again :? )

Thanks,

Comment

Before tearing it down again, I would beg, borrow or steal a compression tester. If the valve isnt closing, it will be very obvious and there will be no doubt left.

Earl

Originally posted by gadget
        Did check the timing marks thay are bang on so it must be a valve(damn that means take it apart again :? )

Thanks,
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Yes, check the compression first and let us know the results. Make sure that you pull all spark plugs first and hold the throttle wide open when checking the compression.

Comment

Sounds like a bent vavle, a sure sign of a bent valve is a misfire through either the exhaust or back through the carbs, this can be mistaken as incorrect ignition or valve timing so i would double check these first. Smoke and oil coming out the breather if there is no misfire would lead me to believe its a ring problem, let us know what you find out,
            Wrench.

Comment

Sounds like a bent valve, a sure sign of a bent valve is a misfire through either the exhaust or back through the carbs, this can be mistaken as incorrect ignition or valve timing so i would double check these first. Smoke and oil coming out the breather if there is no misfire would lead me to believe its a ring problem, let us know what you find out,
              Wrench.

Comment

I would follow Earl's suggestions. Since you are complaining now about oil/smoke, it appears you did not have that before, and if you only changed the head gasket, then there is no reason for the rings to suddenly go bad.

As noted, a compression test will instantly show you if you have a bad valve....you won't get any compression on that cylinder, but be aware that you might have the problem on more than one cylinder because that is how it fires. Cylinders 1 and 4 fire together, then 2 and 3, meaning both have the pistons at the top at the same time. If any valve was bent because the cam was off, then the same damage may be found on the other. Check ALL cylinders for compression.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas
                  I would follow Earl's suggestions. Since you are complaining now about oil/smoke, it appears you did not have that before, and if you only changed the head gasket, then there is no reason for the rings to suddenly go bad.

As noted, a compression test will instantly show you if you have a bad valve....you won't get any compression on that cylinder, but be aware that you might have the problem on more than one cylinder because that is how it fires. Cylinders 1 and 4 fire together, then 2 and 3, meaning both have the pistons at the top at the same time. If any valve was bent because the cam was off, then the same damage may be found on the other. Check ALL cylinders for compression.
                  I agree with you Ron, just curious though wheather theres any misfire? and if there is, is it exhaust or intake?

Comment

Cylinders 1 and 4 fire together, then 2 and 3,
                    I don't mean to be overly critical, however, I believe that while 1 and 4 are at TDC together, they fire at 360 degrees apart. Same as with 2 and 3.

Comment

If you can't get ahold of a compression tester, just put your finger over the spark plug hole and feel how much compression you have. It's certainly not accurate enough to pick out bad rings, but a bent valve should make a noticable difference between cylinders.
                      JP
                      1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                      1992 Concours
                      2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                      2007 FJR

Comment

Can't find anyone to borrow a comp. tester from so I guess I am going to have to buy one when I get the money, I am getting so fusstrated with this thing I am about ready to take it to a shop, only problem is I'm not a rich man and the shop always thinks I am .

No there is no misfirring just dosent have any power when in gear.

Thanks for the help, if it wernt for you people I wouldn't have gotten this far.

I'll keep trying,

Comment

Working...
                        X