charging issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charging issue?

i bought a brand new battery, charged it and checked with a volt meter. The stator was making power while the engine was running. I went for a 20 mile or so ride, shut it off, restarted, rode another 5 or so and shut it down again, except it wasnt cranking almost like it was dead. Its been hot today, 100 degrees or so and i was on a mix of stop go, and back road riding. I waited about 10-15 minutes and it started right up. Rode home shut it down and it restarted fine every time i tried. And its been fine so far. Could it be the heat effecting something? If so what? Any other tests i could do?

to the top

Comment

It could be a starter problem. A starter that isn't working properly can work intermittently, and heat can exacerbate the problem.

Extreme heat is hard on batteries and will cause them to sulfate and self-discharge more rapidly, but that doesn't appear to be the issue in your case.

Comment

You need to get a voltmeter to figure out exactly whats going on with your charging/electrical system.

Comment

I would vote for a starter problem as well, classic symptoms. Does the bike actually turn over quicker and fire just as you let go of the start button? If so, the starter brushes are probably worn.

Comment

it doesnt seem too, although this is the second time it did it. First time im not sure if the battery was dead but it was showing the signs so i put it on a 2 amp trickle charge. I didnt remember to check if the lights were dimming or not. Can i just rebuild my starter, and where can i get the parts?

Comment

Working...
            X