Engine RPM increases when turning!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine RPM increases when turning!!!!!

If I turn the bars all the way to the left, the engine winds up to about 3,000RPM!!! Looks like the throttle cable is being pulled on something but I don't see where. Anyone ever have this problem???

1981 GS 550

Its pulling the throttle cable somehow. It may need to be rerouted, use the most gentle bends you can.

Comment

You're not twisting the grip as you turn, right?

That'd be dumb.

Comment

ooh ooh, i know!

try adjusting it at the lock nut under the throttle housing, where it has the right angle and locknut? you need to shorten the cable so there is slack on your handle when it's straight...

it might be routing as well, but this was my issue as I use that nut to hold it at idle in the mornings, sometimes I would forget to retighten it and get the turning revs....

Comment

It's the routing, I guarentee it.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
            It's the routing, I guarentee it.
            Yeah, recompile your OSPF database, and run traceroutes from your carburetors to your handlebars to make sure you have no loops.

Make sure your BGP links to the throttle grips are up in both directions.

Comment

Originally posted by West
              Yeah, recompile your OSPF database, and run traceroutes from your carburetors to your handlebars to make sure you have no loops.

WTF???:shock:

Comment

Originally posted by West

Computer geek on a bike-dangerous combination!!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperCell
                  If I turn the bars all the way to the left, the engine winds up to about 3,000RPM!!! Looks like the throttle cable is being pulled on something but I don't see where. Anyone ever have this problem???

1981 GS 550
                  It sounds like you may be trying to adust the idle on your bike with tension on the throttle cable. The throttle cable should always have slack, so that turning the bars does not increase tension on the cable.

Adjust your throttle cable until you feel slack in the throttle grip when the bar is turned to the left. The idle adjustment is under the carburetors.

Comment

Working...
                  X