No announcement yet.

easy caliper maintanence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would have to say I feel competent to do it, I just have to get the time free... I do well at putting back together what I have disassembled, and discerning the nature of things when they aren't quite as they're supposed to be.

thanks for all the tips, I will clean them up first and rebuild them later, barring finding a better caliper set that works well for our bikes...??

'beard

Comment

On the topic of taking your vehicles to a mechanic, I wholeheartedly agree with the 'just the DIY' attitude. I learned how to wrench because I grew up poor & couldn't afford to bring my cars to mechanics. When I got my first big salaried job my first thoughts were that I wouldn't have to work on my vehicles anymore & started taking them to shops. After several bad experiences with a handful of shops (and much lost $$$) later, I decided it was better that I do it all myself.

Anyway, I rebuilt all of the calipers on my 850GL (2 were frozen) and it wasn't too bad of a job - hardest part is getting the pistons out & my suggestion is a good blast of compressed air.

Comment

DIY is how I got my bike in the first place, I was whining to my boss that I wanted an old beater bike, something to learn the ride and wrench on. he suggested a coworker that he sold it to previously and that guy was so happy to get rid of it, he didn't even charge me!!!

that, and I have very little budget to throw the bike's way...

Comment

Working...
        X