Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awsome trick, works every time!

I read this tip from this forum:

Drill a small hole in the airbox, behind one of the side covers. You can stick one of those small plastic tubes in there, and then spay in starting fluid. It starts every time!!! Then plug the hole with a sheetrock screw.

As to WHY this does it??? Probably the petcock, it gets better vacuum when the engine is running, allowing the fuel to flow???

Brilliant!!

So what are you gonna do when the engine blows up?

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy
      Brilliant!!

So what are you gonna do when the engine blows up?
      My bike's got low miles, and the engine shouldn't be "blowing up" any time soon. Are you suggesting that using starting fluid will cause the engine to "blow up'?

Comment

I'm suggesting that there are other reasons that can be remedied to get the bike to start properly, and that liberal, regular use of starting fluid, (ether based) will damage the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Billyboy
          I'm suggesting that there are other reasons that can be remedied to get the bike to start properly, and that liberal, regular use of starting fluid, (ether based) will damage the engine.
          Not to mention blow the airbox up if it backfires thru the carbs. :shock:

Comment

Super, I think its best not to recommend your solution to someone who has trouble starting their bike. I think the better solution is to sort out the carbs.

Comment

I've certainly had to use ether on my bike plenty, and have considered the hole in the airbox theory.

what does ether do to the engine? strip lubricants? what about starting fluid with added lubricant?

Comment

Shoot, I was going to post a great tip but you guys are brutal. It involved jumper cables and a battery but I am not telling now [-(

Comment

I'm not exactly sure, but it's just something I've always been told and now dogmatically believe. Anyone want to educate me I'd be glad to know why.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                    Shoot, I was going to post a great tip but you guys are brutal. It involved jumper cables and a battery but I am not telling now [-(
                    We already know about the 'ol "flammable steel wool" in the tail pipe trick.

Comment

Originally posted by 8trackmind
                      We already know about the 'ol "flammable steel wool" in the tail pipe trick.

LOL! Oh man, thanks Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by SuperCell
                        I read this tip from this forum:

Drill a small hole in the airbox, behind one of the side covers. You can stick one of those small plastic tubes in there, and then spay in starting fluid. It starts every time!!! Then plug the hole with a sheetrock screw.

As to WHY this does it??? Probably the petcock, it gets better vacuum when the engine is running, allowing the fuel to flow???
                        Dude, I just saw this post. That's rediculas. Your bike should be able to start on the first few turns of the starter. If it doesn't- something is wrong.

I've made the mistake of not listening when my bike tells me something is wrong. It usually ends up meaning that I will be spending a lot of money.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Hoomgar, I was looking for a secret message.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Ether starting fluid is particularly bad for diesel engines and can void warranties. High pressure spikes can cause severe damage to glow plugs, rings and pistons.

A properly maintained gasoline engine should have no need of it under normal circumstances and it is not recommended. Maybe if you had to start your motorcycle at 0°F in an emergency, it might be tried as a last resort to overcome thick oil, lowered battery power, and marginal gasoline volatility. Otherwise, you should not have a use for it. If a bike won't start without it, it is bad practice to mask or ignore a problem by using ether starting fluid, which is a very volatile, explosive gas.

Comment

Take it from a Canadian: 0 F is f*@K all! I regulalry see -40F in the winter, and as long as you plugged in your car, you ain't got a problem. Nobody uses ether.

Edit: Oh, nevermind. "motorcycle", right...

Comment

Working...
                              X