No announcement yet.

Awsome trick, works every time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kick-started (no electric starter on the base model that year) my GS400 once at -10F and rode to work. I'm not entirely sure why everyone there seemed more worried than impressed.

It started on the second kick -- in warmer weather it was always a first-kick starter. The bike was stored outside under a tarp, and the battery spent the winter in the basement on a battery tender.

No matter what the temperature, a GS should start almost instantly. If it doesn't, you have a problem that can't be solved with a spray can. And certainly not something as aggressively flammable and dangerous as ether... yeek.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I use ether on hard to start lawnmowers & snowblowers occasionally, and a little when I was firing my GS400 up for the first time in 15+ years, but other than that, I try not to use it. Handy to have around to see if you have a fuel or a spark problem, though. I agree with the others, if you have to use it regularly, you would be much better off finding the source of your starting problem.

And an airbox full of ether could be a very scary thing.

How about the trick for starting your bike with a stick of dynamite?

Comment

Before I moved to CA I lived in Northern Ohio. I had a tube running through my firewall going to my carb in a 69 Chevy truck with starter fluid on the other end. It would not start under 0 degrees F. A couple of shots without even lifting my hood and vroom. But I wouldn't use it on my bike. Check out the thread with the guy with the melted airbox.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
          I kick-started (no electric starter on the base model that year) my GS400 once at -10F and rode to work. I'm not entirely sure why everyone there seemed more worried than impressed.

It started on the second kick -- in warmer weather it was always a first-kick starter. The bike was stored outside under a tarp, and the battery spent the winter in the basement on a battery tender.

No matter what the temperature, a GS should start almost instantly. If it doesn't, you have a problem that can't be solved with a spray can. And certainly not something as aggressively flammable and dangerous as ether... yeek.
          I rode my Yamaha TX750 through 2 Buffalo. NY winters. Kick start only, and I kept it outside. I had to stay off the road for two weeks the second winter because the roads were covered with ice the entire time. I may be stupid, but I'm not crazy. Well, depends on who you ask.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
            Hoomgar, I was looking for a secret message.
            You've been here long enough that you should have got that

There was an old tech tip a long time ago where a guy told us we could remove the stator cover by wrapping jumper cables around it and then connecting said cables to each end of a car battery :shock:

The theory was that the coil induction would reverse that of the stator and you could just slip the cover off then. Most of us were a bit worried about the ensuing explosion of the battery from the dead short but it was good for about 2 years worth of repeated postings and laughs. It over laps your join date, you may have seen some of it.

As for the flammable steel in the tail pipe. That is (not really) a joke unto itself as well. It's still there in the tips section if you are inclined to hunt and find it

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
              You've been here long enough that you should have got that

There was an old tech tip a long time ago where a guy told us we could remove the stator cover by wrapping jumper cables around it and then connecting said cables to each end of a car battery :shock:

The theory was that the coil induction would reverse that of the stator and you could just slip the cover off then. Most of us were a bit worried about the ensuing explosion of the battery from the dead short but it was good for about 2 years worth of repeated postings and laughs. It over laps your join date, you may have seen some of it.

As for the flammable steel in the tail pipe. That is (not really) a joke unto itself as well. It's still there in the tips section if you are inclined to hunt and find it
              Ice109 lives on.

Comment

If you are not sure about the difference between gasoline and ether, take a potatoe cannon, and fire with both.

Been there, done that, almost lost my head.

Comment

Originally posted by jm_foote
                  If you are not sure about the difference between gasoline and ether, take a potatoe cannon, and fire with both.

Been there, done that, almost lost my head.
                  Another test: (don't try this at home! :shock: The following is for entertainment purposes only)

Pour 1/4 cup of gas into one plastic bag, pour 1/4 cup of ether into another.
                  Tape the bag of gas around your head for 2 minutes while breathing and feel the results.
                  Now do the same with the ether filled bag. Feel the difference?

:twisted:

Seriously, before anyone hurts themselves, that is a joke for goodness sakes!
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2006, 02:13 PM.

Comment

HAhA!

Love the disclaimer!:-D

Comment

Hoom, I use Easter Egg basket packing material. Lasted almost four days, I mean minutes.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Pour 1/4 cup of gas into one plastic bag, pour 1/4 cup of ether into another.
                        Tape the bag of gas around your head for 2 minutes while breathing and feel the results.
                        Now do the same with the ether filled bag. Feel the difference?

All you need now is a noose and lubricant:-)

Comment

huh?? WTF??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Comment

put down that can of starting fluid and back away from the bike "slowly"!!! Then read the carb rebuild section on the front page of this forum!

Comment

Working...
                            X