I'm stumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm stumped

My 1983 gs750e does not have any power to anything other than the nuetral light. The starter will bump if I jump the relay and the battery has a full charge. any help is appreciated.:?

What've you done to it so far?

I'd:
    Check the fuses
    Check the ignition switch
    Use a test light on the wiring, See if there's power to the switches.

Somebody probably installed the ign. switch in funny.

Comment

Need more cowbell.
      Did you do anything prior to this happening? Worked on the bike? Added or removed equipment? Was the bike proper yesterday and today you went to start it up and this occurred?
      Remember that electricity will take the path of least resistance. So you may be experiencing a neutral light because that is where all the juice is going due to the fact that the neutral switch is grounded through the engine cases. Go into the headlight and see if you can unplug the feed for the neutral switch. I THINK it's a blue wire. Does the light go out and something else light up? Better yet, get some car jumper cables and attach it to the negative side of the battery and take the other end of the cable and attach it to the frame. Anything change?
      I'm thinking bad ground. Be careful and have the tank off and watch and feel the harness for smoke and heat. And have a fire extinguisher ready that's rated for electrical fires:shock:

You'd be better off ohming out the ground circuit to see if that is in fact the problem.

Please be extremely careful.

Comment

Don't fear the reaper. Great Sat Night Clip. Made me laugh out loud.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
          Don't fear the reaper. Great Sat Night Clip. Made me laugh out loud.
          "Babies, I still put my pants on one leg at a time. But after I do, I make gold records."

Comment

Thanks Billy
            Bill
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
              Thanks Billy
              Bill

Comment

Working...
              X