Another newbie needing advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another newbie needing advise

New here and just wanted to say hello first off but I have an issue I hope you could shed some light on. I recently purchased a 85 GS700ES and am trying to get it right. Here's the problem. There is fuel spilling out of the air box and it is flooding #3 and #4. I pull the plugs and #1 and #2 are dusty brown but #3 and #4 are black. I have been through the carbs three times now to no prevail. Just today I replaced all four float needles and all o-rings and adjusted the mixture screw to 1 1/2 out. Then I rebuilt the fuel petcock with a new kit and still the same issue. I bike is stock including the air box and pipes. I can get the bike to start cold with the choke on and thurn the choke off and idles high. A couple twists of the throttle shows the bike to rev slowly. Once i get past the dead spot it revs great to redline. I tried to ride it today and would bog horribly but after say 5-6k it would scream. Sounds like it is only running on about 2 cylinders until you get the fuel out of the cylinders. Here is a list to what has been done so far.

Cleaned carbs and checked all passages
    Set float level to 23mm from the gasket surface
    Replaced all pilot jets
    Replaced all float needles
    Replaced all spark plugs with stock
    Replaced all intake boots and o-rings
    Rebuilt petcock.

I'm at a lost here but hoping somebody can point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance for your advice. Bill

The first thing I would check is the carb synch vacuum levels. If 3,4 are way high and 1,2 are way low, it would give the results youre having.

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
      The first thing I would check is the carb synch vacuum levels. If 3,4 are way high and 1,2 are way low, it would give the results youre having.

Earl
      If I read correctly searching the forum. I read that the bench synch would get it close to atleast run. Correct? Last night I pulled the slide out of #4 and the was fuel spilling out in the center of the carb where the brass tube that the main jet screws into from the bowl. Would that be a fuel level concern? Thank you for your input, Bill

Comment

Sounds like you've got a way-too-high fuel level in #4 carb.

It's one or more of these issues:
        1. Leaking float
        2. Improperly sealing float needle valve
        3. Float level is way off

These issues have been discussed to death - do a search.

Besides that obvious problem, you definitely should verify compression for each cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by nabrams
          Sounds like you've got a way-too-high fuel level in #4 carb.

It's one or more of these issues:
          1. Leaking float
          2. Improperly sealing float needle valve
          3. Float level is way off

These issues have been discussed to death - do a search.

Besides that obvious problem, you definitely should verify compression for each cylinder.

I only pulled #4 because it can be done without removing the carbs again. But #3 and #4 are doing the same thing. All float level's were set @ 23mm with new float needles. I HAVE searched for this concern but have found nothing so far to point me in the right direction. I just need to clear my head and get some new imput because I'm missing something here. Thanks, Bill

Comment

I just went out to tinker with it again. Question is if there is a float/needle problem would'nt the fuel come out of the vent hose? I cleared the passages and blew through the lines to make sure it's clean. This is not making any sense to me. I fit was just one carb doing it I could see but both I don't know. What other issue's would cause fuel to drain through the air box but not the vent's? Thanks. Bill

Comment

Working...
            X