Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help :*) w/ DYNA S install...

Hi,
    Ok so I need to buy and install a Dyna S onto my 85' GS300L. I was told that I needed a mechanical advance and that would determine the model of the Dyna S to be installed. So I bought this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ignit...ayphotohosting

The seller didn't know if it was for a KD or ND system. So I guess what I am asking is did I get a part I can use with a Dyna S? Can someone post pics of the installation? [-o<

P.S. If anybody knows of where I can get cheap coils I would appreciate the tip. :-D I know Ebay, just not sure what to buy...

Thank You,
    intercessor

The KD and ND designation refers to the make of the points. They have different spaced mounting pins on the pointsets. The mechanical advance is neither. It will work with either type of points or electronic ignition such as a Dyna S.

Cyclerecycle http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/
    sells single spark plug new coils for (if I remember correctly) about $60. I dont know of any cheaper than that. You could also use a pair of dual output coils such as used on the 4 cylinder bikes. All you would have to do is cap off one plug lead on each coil. (you need two separate coils, so you cannot use a single coil and use both spark plug leads)

Earl
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Earl thank you for all of your help on this forum \\/

I must have missunderstood what you were trying to say on another thread I started last year. Could you kindly elaborate on the following quote that I copied from that thread
      "Also, the two types use a different rotor, and they are not interchangeable. The mechanical advance unit make you use will determine the dyna style you need, either ND (Nippondenso) or KD (kokusan) Ask which it is when you buy one Mechanical advance units for ND systems used points held to the breaker plate with one screw. Advance units for KD systems used points held to the breaker plate with two screws."

I guess I am confused about the whole ND and KD thing and how it relates to using the right Dyna S model...

Thank a bunch

Comment

the nd i think it is has a shorter advance so when you bolt it on the bolt doesnt stop the advance from moving. If you mix them up, the advance wont work when you tighten the bolt.

Comment

This might help:

It's from my TDC page:

The mechanical advance is the widget in the middle that looks like a small bolt going into a big bolt. Sometimes the small bolt is an allen head. The blade that's pointed to about 10:00 triggers the spark when it passes the black pickups on either side; #1 on the left, #2 on the right. (1-4 and 2-3 on four cylinder bikes.)

The ignition plate is the whatsis held on with three phillips head screws. The pickups (or points) are attached to the ignition plate with standard flat blade screws. This example is a Nippondenso -- the "ND" stamp is hidden under the word "hex" at the bottom.

Peeking through the shiny ignition plate, you can see the duller-looking metal of the mechanical advance mechanism.

To remove the mechanical advance, remove three screws holding the ignition plate, remove the ignition plate, then remove the small bolt in the middle. The mechanical advance mechanism should then pull off the crankshaft easily. (The large hex is used only for rotating the engine during valve adjustments and such -- it is not a bolt.)

If you play with the advance mechanism a little, you'll see how it works. When the engine revs up, there are two weights that move outward against spring pressure and rotate the blade forward (clockwise) a bit. It should work easily and smoothly with finger pressure -- you may need to clean it up and grease it if it's sticky or corroded.

AFAIK, the mechanical advances are all the same on GS models that use them. The ignition and ignition plate may have been manufactured by either of the two suppliers mentioned.

I hope this clarifies the terminology and functions of everything!
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.
            What determines the model of the Dyna S I need then? Or am I missing something here? I bought the mechanical advance today, what else do I need to figure out?

Hopefully it fits my small bike8-[

Comment

look at the pictures on bike bandit or bells suzuki, the nd has the condensors facing a different direction than the kd. The only difference between the ignitons is the length of the advance part.

Comment

Ok this is what I got from Z1,

"The only difference between the DS3-1 and the DS3-2 is the size of the rotor. You are going to have to check out the advancer that you bought and see if it is a ND or a KD to tell what ignition you will need. The difference between them is that they are two different companies that make them and one is slightly larger then the other. "

Hopefully it will have a stamp on it...[-o<

Comment

Ok I finally have a ND mech. adv.:-D It has ND stamped right into the metal. Two issues have appeared that I am not sure of how to handle. The mech. adv. has a bigger groove for the cam key than what my current key can fill. Is this an issue, will it slop around? Also the mech. adv. came with a bigger diameter bolt, should I put some sort of packing material into the center?

Edit: Ooops, replace CAM with crank.

Thank you,
                  intercessor
                  Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2006, 10:54 AM.

Comment

The pickups in the ignition plate must align with the magnet in the rotor that's bolted to the end of the crank (and seats on the advancer). There shouldn't be any appreciable play in/out with the rotor, so you may need to shim it to align the rotor with the pickups and stop it from floating in or out.

If the rotor sticks out too far, you may be able to shim behind the ignition plate with washers to move it out a little - but make sure the bolt will not touch the inside of the ignition cover.

Comment

Working...
                    X