hard starting/carb problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hard starting/carb problems

Now that i finally got time to ride my bike im finding little problems. My bike has rebuilt carbs and a new battery. When the choke is on the bike will start with a touch of the starter, but dies. It will keep doing this until its warmed up a little and seems to start and idle. I just dont want to kill my battery or burn the starter, so is there any way to make a ajustment to speed up the process? I use starting fluid and it gives it the boost to warm up on choke but i want to avoid this and not have it dying all the time while im trying to warm it up.

It sounds like a lean issue, as it starts better as it warms up. How does it run after it is warmed up? Any stumbling, backfiring, or flat spots? Also, have the carbs been vacuum synched? The valves should also be adjusted properly before going any further.

Comment

bike runs perfect when warm. im thinking since they were just cleaned/rebuilt ill run a tank of gas with fuel injector cleaner and if that doesnt clear it up ill block the vacuum line, and clean carbs again. my dad said his bike starts hard exactly like mine cold too, maybe its normal and im over reacting?

Comment

Actually, most of the bikes I know of on this board start very quickly. Mine starts within 1-1/2 seconds. Are the fuel bowl drain screws wet after riding awhile? It definitely sounds like you are not getting fuel until the bike has developed enough vacuum to draw it from the petcock. Mine only does this when the bowls are empty after draining them or rebuilding the carbs. Perhaps fuel bowls are draining overnight?

Comment

If the bike runs well and starts well when after getting warm, then do this:

The choke is fed by the small brass tube that goes into the the wall of the float bowls. There is a tiny port in the bottom of the float bowls that feeds fuel to the cavity in the wall of the bolw itself and to the brass "starter jet." Often the port gets clogged, as it's at the bottom of the float bowl, and most affected by grit or varnish. Make sure that is free. It's tiny, use carb cleaner, a strand from a section of electrical wire and compressed air to clean it out.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

alright ill give it a try thankyou for the replies.

Comment

This is very similar to the problem on another thread I am following. Try this. Four or five minutes before you attempt to start your bike, move the the petcock lever to the Prime position. Then put the choke all the way on, DON'T twist the throttle, and push the starter button. See if it kicks on and stays running.
              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

i disabled the vacuum petcock right after it filled my crank case with gas. I leave it on prime and have a inline valve, but ill try turning the valve on 5 mins before i start it.

Comment

If this solves the problem, I would check for leaks in the fuel bowls as I suggested. I believe your bowls are draining overnight.

Comment

i fixed it, it must have been dirty. I ran some sea foam through it and it starts great now. Thankyou for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                    X