Tire Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Size

Does anyone else here have a 1978 GS750E? If so what are the tire sizes front and rear? From what I can tell I have a 19inch up front and an 18 inch in the rear. The wheels are the stock mag type. I would like to know what the tire size is in the English (American) system. Thanks. I am looking at getting a set of Dunlop 404's. Also I think that these rims are tubed rims. Can I put a tubeless tire on a tubed rim? If I cannot put a tubeless tire on a tubed rim, then can I run a tube in a tire that was meant to run tubeless?

The OEM tire sizes were 3.25 x 19" front and 4.00 x 18" rear. The metric conversion for these tire sizes would be 100/90 19 front and 110/90 18 rear. The alphabetical designation would be MM90 19 front and MP85 18 rear.

Tires for old bikes can usually be used with tubes even if the tires are tubeless. If you try to use a tubeless tire without a tube on an early tube-type cast rim, the rim may have casting porosity and leak unless it is sealed with something like an epoxy paint.

Comment

Tires

100/90x 19 front (3.25 x 19) and 120 x 18 rear ( 4.00 x 18 ) are standard but you can run a 130 on the rear with no problems. You can run tubes in tubeless tires with no issues. Just check the rims for casting marks as if there tube or tubeless ( i think you have already done that)
      Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2006, 04:50 AM.

Comment

The 120/90 rear, which is what I'm running, is closer in size to the original 4.00. The further you stray from the original factory size the more chance you have of handling issues and interference.

For liability reasons, no shop will mount tires without tubes on rims that are not marked "Tubeless" . If you're going to do that you'll have to mount them yourself.

As the others said you can put a tube in a tire that is marked tubeless if you're mounting it on a non-tubeless rim.

Comment

Tire Size Conversion Chart

See the Tire Size Conversion Chart.

Comment

Originally posted by ptm
            The 120/90 rear, which is what I'm running, is closer in size to the original 4.00. The further you stray from the original factory size the more chance you have of handling issues and interference.
            110 mm = 4.33 inches
            120 mm = 4.72 inches

Comment

Working...
            X