Paint number matching?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint number matching?

Hey all, This might have been discussed before, but I could not find the string.

I have to paint the side covers on my wife's 850 to match the new tank I bought on eBay. Is there somewhere anyone knows that has paint code or number information for GS motorcycles? I checked a local dealer and he wasn't helpful at all.

Specifically I need to match the black and metalic red on the GS850GLZ tank.
    Thanks in advance

GY

Gerry, Earl came up with an idea that might be just what you need.

Check an automotive store where they have professional paints and see if they have a "gun" that can check your tank for colour and will give them the information they need to mix a paint to exactly match.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Good Idea! I'll have to do that! I was hoping that it would be as easy as bringing the tank in and having someone computer match the color for me. Automotive paintshops have to have some way to match "Old" paint shouldn't they?
      GY

Comment

You could try...

RS Motorbike Paints - www.motorbikepaint.co.uk . They were very helpful when I contacted them.

Comment

Here's what I did... I removed all the painted body parts from my bike. Handed them to my buddy along with $200, and they are now being painted Corvette C5 silver 8)

Comment

That will do it !
            8)
            GY

Comment

Hank, if you know what the tank came off of you might can match it at this web site. http://www.color-rite.com/ and it will save you having to take it someplace to try to match it.

Comment

Sorry about calling you Hank I don't know what got into me. Trying to type to fast here at work I guess.

Comment

I have used their "Colorite" and their mix may or may not match the factory color. I needed to repaint a new Yamaha (no faded paint on part and factory new) and the Colorite color was not close to the original color. (yes, I called and double checked to be sure I had received the correct color) Additionally, their spraycans did not spray a reasonably good pattern. ( I do a lot of work with professional spray equipment) Overall, I was not happy with their paint match or the quality of the product that I used.

Earl

Originally posted by dgeorge
                  Hank, if you know what the tank came off of you might can match it at this web site. http://www.color-rite.com/ and it will save you having to take it someplace to try to match it.
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                  X