Dies when it warms up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dies when it warms up.

I took my freshly-running bike out for a spin this evening (without a front caliper...I don't recommend it). Just around the block and I never got out of 2nd gear.

On the return leg, I started losing power and when I pulled over, It died.

I had to push her home (about 50 yards...no too bad).

Any ideas?

Does it start after priming carbs? Are your plugs black? Petcock? Fouling plugs?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Starts on PRI with full choke. I have to jump it sometimes though. Plugs are a slight grey color. Petcock squirts gas when I suck on the vacuum line.

Everythings checks...I'm suspecting coils. Am I close??!!!

Any way to test those?

Comment

UPDATE!!!

I found a spark from the starter solenoid shorting to ground. A piece of rubber fixed that but I still need a jump on full choke to get it going.

After about a minute of rev to 2500 rpm, I found a puddle of gas coming from the little tube coming from between the #3 and #4 carb...stuck float??

I also noticed the pipes were very hot to the touch, except for the #4 which was hot, just not VERY hot like the others. A little backfire as well.

Is this ignition, ie. Coil for #3 and #4, bad plug wire on #4, or bad CDI?

Or is this fuel, ie. dirty carbs (jeez, I really dont want to pull off those carbs again!)

I am about at the end of my rope...I REALLY wanted this bike road worthy by the time the wife gets back from Iraq.

Maybe I should just cut my losses and just sell it!!!

Comment

Fuel coming from the bowl vent tube is definitely a stuck float/valve. Grey plugs also suggest running very rich. I suggest following the cleaning procedrures from the GSR Garage. Also get new orings from teh guy on this forum(can't remember his name). This will most likely alleviate most, if not all, of your problems.

Comment

I have a similar post running on what turns out to be the same subject...all related.

Looks like I'm tearing down carbs this week.

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X