what dose mean a BLUEPRINTED engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what dose mean a BLUEPRINTED engine?

Would anyone could tell what dose mean a engine is BULEPRINTED after rebuilded? What have done to it?

My idea of a BLUEPRINTED engine is one that has had all the dimensions and specifications matched VERY CAREFULLY during the rebuild.
    The pistons have been weighed and balanced to each other, the rods weighed and balanced, the crank is balanced, etc.
    The rings have been carefully fitted to the cylinder and measured for end gap before being installed on the piston.
    The cylinder has been honed to exact tolerance to the piston diameter.
    The bearings have been checked for proper clearance to the rods and crank (assuming they are plain bearings, not the ball bearings in our engines).
    The cylinder head has been thoroughly checked for flat and level.
    The valve seats measured for size and angle.
    The valve springs measured for length and tension.
    Combustion chamber has been measured for volume.
    Lots of other stuff that I can't remember right now.

Yeah, I know all this should happen any time an engine goes together, but it is a matter of how carefully you check and adjust things that really matter.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your input, I learn a lot from you.

addy

Comment

I basically agree with Steve. My take is that all engine specifications have manufacturing tolerances that allow some deviation from the "blueprint", i.e., the design dimension of a part.

A blueprinted engine builder seeks to remove tolerances that deviate from the design spec as much as possible, so that all parts are an exact match with optimally matched passages and dimensions. Power and efficiency is gained when all parts adhere as closely as possible to the exact size and characteristics of the design blueprint. A blueprinted engine can meet completely stock specifications, and this is how performance is increased when competing with a stock engine.

Comment

This is the only way to put a motor together. Spending the extra money to have things balanced and then getting everything set the way you want it is the only way to go if you want to get the most out of your motor and it lasts longer without all the harmonics being wacky.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve
            My idea of a BLUEPRINTED engine is one that has had all the dimensions and specifications matched VERY CAREFULLY during the rebuild.
            The pistons have been weighed and balanced to each other, the rods weighed and balanced, the crank is balanced, etc.
            The rings have been carefully fitted to the cylinder and measured for end gap before being installed on the piston.
            The cylinder has been honed to exact tolerance to the piston diameter.
            The bearings have been checked for proper clearance to the rods and crank (assuming they are plain bearings, not the ball bearings in our engines).
            The cylinder head has been thoroughly checked for flat and level.
            The valve seats measured for size and angle.
            The valve springs measured for length and tension.
            Combustion chamber has been measured for volume.
            Lots of other stuff that I can't remember right now.

Yeah, I know all this should happen any time an engine goes together, but it is a matter of how carefully you check and adjust things that really matter.

Cam timing is a biggy!

Comment

JGordon,

That is one of those things I could not remember at the time.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

printing

I remember my old boss blueprinteda Honda 750 Bol-dor and it was faster than my mates 900 honda. Thats what it does to a bike.

Comment

In the game of racing one will commonly hear the term "balanced and blueprinted". This is the steps of detailed and documented super tight tolerencing of an engine. Each individual component is mic'd and in many cases modified to pull the component into a tighter tolerence to more closely match other like engine components. The comment about "cam timing" was excellent, as this is a detailed method to achieve max hp (but its an in-depth process). The final "balanced" term describes that the components were all modified to again have a very minimal weight varaince, then the complete rotating (crank, rods, and pistons assembly is given a final rotating balance.

Comment

I would guess that 2006 productiono engines are probably better "balanced and blurprinted" than most 1985 racing engines. But that is just a guess.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by themess
                      I would guess that 2006 productiono engines are probably better "balanced and blurprinted" than most 1985 racing engines. But that is just a guess.
                      It's amazing what the computer control stuff does for the horsepower. My little 1325 Turbo might get outran by a stock ZX-14 (-:

Comment

consider the term(s) "Balanced and Blueprinted", they are self explanitory. Take the engine block for example, it is a hunk of cast iron or aluminum. For the sake of perfection every ounce of excess weight counts against performance. What we need to do is shave all the extra metal from that block. We not only are considering a few vital pounds but the surfaces on which all moving parts are going to be housed.The engine that drives the Dairy Queen circuit dos not begin to compare to the Daytona counterpart .
                        A race engine begins with "balance and blueprint", it is the foundation upon which the car is built. From there lets remove the unnecessary and blueprint down to the ten thousandth of an inch, record that information so that we know this engine's measurements specifically.
                        Whatever equipment you wish to put in to this engine now is up to you. It will handle as much horsepower as you can humanly extract down to the molecular level. good luck and good racing, ikazuki

Comment

One other thing about blueprinting an engine was that they'd use carbon paper and place it between the heads and the block to find the low and high places so that it could be ground smooth and level for a better fit hence tighter tolerances.

Comment

All production engines are made to a price. Our Gs's are no exception. When I recently dismantled the head of my 79 850, I was suprised to see the mismatching of one inlet boot to the inlet track and the stepped machine ridges in all of the inlet pockets just below valve seat area. These are some of the areas that can be blueprinted cheaply with moderate gains in HP and efficiency. If you're serious, you do all the other mods suggested, especially degreeing the cams. You need to keep in mind that by chasing too much weight loss in the wrong areas can lead to unreliability.
                            :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X