Starter button...how does it work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter button...how does it work?

After a great deal of help from Philip, I'm closing in on my electrical problem. I took apart my starter button but can't for the life of me see how it works. The little plate has an orange/white wire and a yellow/green wire attached to it.

If you push the button, it goes up against the little copper bump on the plate, but it doesn't look like it touches anything else or completes any circuit. So, how does it work??
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

The starter button is a momentary, normally off switch. The leads to it are orange/yellow 12v+ input, yellow/green 12v positive output. The switch is the positive side of the circuit only. The electrical contacts are in the underside of the spring loaded button. When the button is depressed, the circuit is completed. When 12v+ is outputted on the yellow green wire, it activates an electromagnet in the solenoid which closes the high amperage capability contacts that then supply power to the starter motor. The starter motor is always grounded as is the solenoid, hence no ground wire on the starter button.

Earl

Originally posted by chuckycheese
    After a great deal of help from Philip, I'm closing in on my electrical problem. I took apart my starter button but can't for the life of me see how it works. The little plate has an orange/white wire and a yellow/green wire attached to it.

If you push the button, it goes up against the little copper bump on the plate, but it doesn't look like it touches anything else or completes any circuit. So, how does it work??
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, Earl, for such a detailed explanation.:-D It looks so simple and I just couldn't figure out how that copper button touching up against it could complete the circuit. In any case, I cleaned it up really well and...it works!\\/
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Stuff working is always good. :-)

E.

Originally posted by chuckycheese
        Thanks, Earl, for such a detailed explanation.:-D It looks so simple and I just couldn't figure out how that copper button touching up against it could complete the circuit. In any case, I cleaned it up really well and...it works!\\/
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
        X