Cleaning helmet lining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning helmet lining

Anyone have a technique for cleaning helmet liners that are not removable?
    Thanks
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

I've heard of some people putting them in the dishwasher with just a little laundry soap added.
    JP
    1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
    1992 Concours
    2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
    2007 FJR

Comment

I guess everyone else rides around with a rank helmet or have entirely removable liners. I just replaced mine last summer, had a Shoei since 98 or so, but figured it was time for a new one as I dropped it a few times off the rearview mirrors.

The new one only has removeable cheek pads.
      GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I've read (but can't vouch for) that Woolite is the stuff to use. Mix it with water and then essentially hand wash/blot all the inside material, rinse then dry with a fan for a few hours or days. If you have a wife, you'll probably have a bottle of Woolite.

Comment

Whether you can take the lining out or not if you wash it with any type of detergent make sure you rinse it and then rinse it again and one more time. Depending on how bad you sweat, if your sweat mixes with any detergent left in the lining and trickles down into your eyes...ouch! Arrrgh...can't see...:shock:
          There is a product called "Helmet fresh" but I have not tried it as I can take the lining out of mine.

Comment

What I've done for years is wash mine in the kitchen sink. Put a towel down in the bottom to keep from scratching it and use warm water and you favorite shampoo with a blotting action with a wash cloth and use lots of water to rinse well. Then invert it and let the water drain out for 15 min. or so. Then blot out the remainder of the water with a bath towel and set out to air dry. Speed it up with a fan if you want---usually overnight will do it. I do mine once or twice a year this way and have had good results. An herbal shampoo gives your liner a nice scent also.

GS1000S
            78' GS1000EC
            79' GS850GN
            79' GS1000N
            79' GS1000EN
            81' GS1100EX

Comment

DO NOT put laundry soap in your dishwaher, unless you want your kitchen knee deep in suds.

Otherwise the diswasher trick is what I have heard of, also. Use dishwasher detergent, it is specifically made to be low-sudsing.

Comment

Well, I've NEVER washed the interior of any helmet. I do however take a preventive measure that has always worked extremely well: I use a "do rag".

What is a do rag? Usually a bandana. I simply tie on the bandana and then put the helmet on. Been doin' this for years and I've NEVER had a stinky or gross helmet. And that's saying something, b/c here in the DC Metro area, humidity routinely hits the 70% and 80% ranges all summer long and sweating is the only thing you can be sure of for any summer riding.

Comment

Just spray the thing with Febreeze, be a man and suck it up!
                  Currently bikeless
                  '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                  '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I never washed the last helmet, but usually bath on a daily basis. I was doing a demo on a 1910 home breathing plaster dust, sweating, and basically getting covered with it. Grovelling in crawlspaces with exposed insulation etc. So when the day came to an end, I get to slap my helmet on with all this filth.

Just checking to see if there was any special technique, which sounds like there isn't.

I have two kids so I guess I'm a man.

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk

I have two kids so I guess I'm a man.
                      Ahh, I'm just messin with ya!:-D
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

shampoo man!

Use your shampoo, at least you won't react to it the same way that you might to other detergents or cleaning chemicals.

Comment

An interesting write up on a product made specifically for your problem. I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will before long. My helmet is developing quite the funk. As my bike is my primary transportation I usually don't have time to put on a do rag.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                            http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/helme...elmet-care.htm

An interesting write up on a product made specifically for your problem. I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will before long. My helmet is developing quite the funk. As my bike is my primary transportation I usually don't have time to put on a do rag.
                            ReallY? My bike was my primary transportation for years and wearing the do rag was just like putting on my gloves. I usually change the do rag once every 2-7 days, depending on the weather and my level of "perspiration".

Tip: Once you've tied on the do rag, you don't have to tie it again until you replace it with a fresh one. Kind of like a tie.

Comment

Man, I'd no way, never, no how put a helmet in the dishwasher. First I've ever heard of that. That has got to screw up the styrene lining. Don't do it.

When I bought my HJC it had a slip of paper advising using baking soda and warm water, repeat and thoroughly rinse with clear water. The soda will absorb odors and neutralize the acid dried on your foam liner. If you've ever had helmet liner foam deteriorate it is because of acid in your perspiration that is absorbed every time you wear it.

To dry it just gently stuff a bath towel in it for awhile and then let it air dry.

Comment

Working...
                              X