No announcement yet.

Cleaning helmet lining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helmets get rather rank smelling after a while. I put a dryer sheet inside the helmet when I get home after a hot ride or a day at the races. I also replace my primary helmet every 2 years with a current Snell certified lid. Cheap insurance if you know what I mean

Comment

The Arai factory rep at the Washington DC International Cycle Show told me to use baby shampoo (because it's non-allergenic) and to wash the helmet in the bathtub where it can be fully submerged. Rinse it thoroughly and let it air dry completely before wearing again.

I have not tried this, but I'm gonna do it soon.

Tomcat

Comment

I line the inside of my helmet witha surgical cap, just velcro it in. Then when it needs replacing pull it out and put another in, don't need a separate doo rag. This goes on an off with the helmet and they BREATHE.
        keeps the helmet from being smelly and dirty, the cheek pads, i pull out and put in the washer with the wife's delicates when she is not looking as she uses the delicate cycle./

Comment

Originally posted by MelodicMetalGod View Post
          ReallY? My bike was my primary transportation for years and wearing the do rag was just like putting on my gloves. I usually change the do rag once every 2-7 days, depending on the weather and my level of "perspiration".

Tip: Once you've tied on the do rag, you don't have to tie it again until you replace it with a fresh one. Kind of like a tie.
          I have, since my last post on this thread, started wearing a moisture wicking balaclava everywhere I go. It doesn't take much time to put on unless I've got a couple of days growth on my scalp. It then becomes like Velcro. I am seriously considering one of these.

Comment

I have some "Helmet Renew" which is virtually identical to the stuff linked earlier. Works well, great for cleaning the outside & the visor too.

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Luckily by a strange twist of fate, I was born without sweat pores.

Comment

Non-scented baby wipes....Cheap and effective. As stated before I always replace my lids every 2 to 3 years. The foam breaks down. If you keep it in a garage the summer heat can speed up this process and the growth of bacteria!!! I've got all mine on a mantle inside. Now if I can just get the ol' lady to believe a bike in the living room is modern art.....LOOK AT The GUGGNHEIM!

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie View Post
                  I have, since my last post on this thread, started wearing a moisture wicking balaclava everywhere I go. It doesn't take much time to put on unless I've got a couple of days growth on my scalp. It then becomes like Velcro. I am seriously considering one of these.

http://www.cyclegadgets.com/slik/

Not a bad idea. I've been thinking about getting something similar for the upcoming season and DC Metro area weather.

I just went to the Mid-Atlantic Motorcycle Show (http://www.cycleshow.net/) a couple weeks ago and I noticed that liners, skull caps, and sort of "pre-fab, pre-tied" doo rags are all over the place these days. Plus, thanks to the internet, unlike when I first started riding, I have more bike apparel retailers to choose from than I can keep up with.

Comment

Originally posted by jonesti View Post
                    Non-scented baby wipes....Cheap and effective. As stated before I always replace my lids every 2 to 3 years. The foam breaks down. If you keep it in a garage the summer heat can speed up this process and the growth of bacteria!!! I've got all mine on a mantle inside. Now if I can just get the ol' lady to believe a bike in the living room is modern art.....LOOK AT The GUGGNHEIM!
                    I also believe in replacing helmets every couple of years...just in case. I keep my helmet in the finished and climate controlled part of the house. Besides, too many spiders and other critters find their way into the garage.

If you ever manage to get the bike into the living room, PLEASE post the winning argument here! [-o<

Comment

Working...
                    X