GS 1000 ID numbers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1000 ID numbers!

Just recently purchased a 1979 GS1000, I believe an E version. Waiting for manual to verify some technical questions, but have a more general question. I noticed the frame vin number and the motor nos don't match, is this common? If not is there any way to read the motor nos to indicate year or possibly model? This is a great running bike with some power, with some obvious equipment added; 4 into 1 headers, Dyna coils, and K&N filters, but already looking for more power, any suggestions? Thanks in advance, Jim. :?

Im in the same boat Jim with the 79 Gs1000 with no id.
    The frame numbers are never the same as the engine ,unlike brit bikes

Comment

There may be a way to I.D. model using numbers.Maybe someone here knows. What I can tell you is I believe Suzuki made 4 models in'79:
      GS1000C, a 'base'model,wire spoked wheels,single disc in front,flat seat,choke lever on carbs,all others have pull knob on bars,
      should have a GS1000 emblem on side cover.
      GS1000E(N),my bike,shares most parts with base model,but upgrades are cast/mag wheels,dual discs in front,self cancelling turn signals,a slightly tiered seat,GS1000E emblem,came in black w/blue&gold pinstripping,and a red w/pinstripping.
      GS1000L,a 'chopper' look, pull back bars,2 tiered seat,'teardrop' tank,
      leading axle forks,'V' shaped side covers,standard rear fender w/raised tail light(all others have a tail piece w/recessed tail lens)different guages,etc.
      GS1000S, more rare,like the E model,but had a cowling in front, clock above guages,shorter bars,flat seat,blue/white combo. This help? KK.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks Kieth, the only problem is that there isn't too many original parts left to identifywith. It has an aftermarket seat. straight custom bars, custom side covers, no emblems! What I can use to identify with are the spoke wheels and single front disc. My last bike was a Triumph, with you could almost tell the day it was built by the numbers! Thanks, Jim.

Comment

I think it is a 78 because of the wire wheels I could be wrong but I thing all GS 1000 starting in 79 had mag wheels

Comment

The 1979 GS1000C had wire spoke wheels,also the only model with a single disc that year. I have the '79 Suzuki factory manual that shows photos of all 4 models that year.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Bit of a scary thoought, 1000 cc's and 1 front disc 8O

Comment

Working...
              X