• Show
Clear All

pics of my carbs, some help please.

picture one

picture two

Comment

picture three

Comment

These carbs came off my 78 gs400. the numbers do not match from the engine to the frame so i'm not completly sure about the parts corresponding to the year. could someone identify these. my guess is that they are CV style carbs. i would like some feedback though. also there are some things about the carbs that worry me and i am thinking that someone that has already been there can let me know what to expect.

the brass cylinder shapes inside are two different shades of gold. is this an indication of a problem. also the choke lever is stuck and won't move at all.

there is some gunk that has collected on one of the brass disks, what is that stuff and should i worry about this?

i think i should buy a complete rebuild kit and would like to know who has the best kit for these carbs? any help is greatly appreciated -rob

Comment

The carbs are Mikuni BS34's, CV type.

The only time the different colors are a problem is if one of them doesn't fit or move freely.

The discoloration on the butterfly valve looks like it sat with some water in it for a while, corroding the brass. You should be OK polishing it off with fine grade sandpaper. Try not to take off too much metal, especially around the outside edge.

I have not found a rebuild kit for these, I did mine 'by hand', so to speak.

Those carbs sure do look like a mess on the outside, but the throats don't look too bad.

There are carb cleaning instructions or a FAQ on this site somewhere, I suggest you find them & follow them.

Comment

thanks west i'll look around for the file here about cleaning it. does anyone know a place for a rebuild kit?

Comment

Try Georgefix on Ebay. He sells K&L kits which are good.
              Bill
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have been keeping an eye out for 8 months and not found a kit for these carbs anywhere. I seriously doubt you will find one. The best you will be able to do is get new float bowl gaskets and new O-rings for the air screws and needle jets.

My parts were almost all servicable, I just took good care of them when I disassembled the carbs. One pilot jet o-ring was a bit munged, and both airscrew O-rings were cracked, but replacements for those are not too hard to find.

Take VERY good care of those large float bowl drain plugs, as they are unique to these carbs, every other carb out there has little bitty plugs and copper washers, not those big wide plugs and o-rings. The o-rings are not too hard to replace, though, I found some that worked at Home Despot.

Remove all rubber parts before dipping the carbs, that includes the air jet screws, needle jets with their O-rings, slides and diaphragms (those cost $65 for a new part, so be nice to them), bowl drain plugs, float bowl gaskets, and float valves and seats. (float valve pins on mine are steel, but sometimes they are viton or plastic tipped.)

Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                X