New GS550E Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GS550E Owner

I just got a '78 GS550E and I might have to change the oil soon. I found the drain plug, but I have no clue where the oil filter is. Where can I find it, and what type of filter is recommended?

Look between the middle header pipes. At the bottom of the engine, youll see three small nuts holding a circular cover on. Thats the filter cover. There is also an O-ring in that cover that may need replacing.

Personally, I just use OEM filters, they are only about $4, and the Oring is $3. Fram makes a filter kit that includes the oring, but i dont remember the number for it.

oh, BTW, welcome to the GSR.

Comment

Thanks, I would've never looked there. Do you know what size socket to use and how much torque it takes to unscrew them?

Comment

use a small socket, I think it may be 7mm?
        DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN these screws. Snug is enough.
        If you overtighten them, 1 of 2 things, you either pull the screw out of the engine block or strip the acorn nut.

Put a little fresh oil around the o ring/gasket before fitting it into the groove on the cover. Install the new filter and cover after draining the oil.

Be careful there is a spring under that cover so loosen them around in order, not taking one screw off at once.
        One of those jobs you need 3 hands the first couple of times you do it.
        Keith
        -------------------------------------------
        1980 GS1000S, blue and white
        2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

As keith said, be careful about overtightening, they are tiny and easy to mess up.

Also, be careful with that drain plug. Its a steel piece screwing in to aluminum, so Its easy to strip. It just needs to be snug, not cranked down.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious
            Thanks, I would've never looked there. Do you know what size socket to use and how much torque it takes to unscrew them?

They are #8 or 8mm sockets on the acorn nuts.

I own a house out in aurora and if you want tips / pointers or help in anything drop me a line. We'd be glad to help out.

Comment

the filter itself isn't screwed down.

Comment

I think the drain plug is 13/16..it's pretty big! I got the Fram oil filter with o-ring for 5 bucks at autoparts store. The # is 6000 (I forget the 2 letters in front if it.)

Comment

Working...
                X