clutch rod issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clutch rod issue

My 1978 550 threw the chain at 70 mph. basck up on itself and bent the clutch shift rod so it looks like a crank handle. the $uzuki shop tells me that it is a discontinued item. I also need info on the r and r in replacing this rod.. as far as the bent stuff goes I can dremel it off. Also what do the two bolts in the front sprocket housing around the clutch rod connect or hold on?? Thanks for your help.. I know some of you have replaced or removed this rod in the past. Do you know where there is a clear exploded view?
    She has been my daily rider and now I need to wait for the some parts and the local yard to open up..

JP
    Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2006, 07:38 PM.

Know where to get the cross rod for the clutch?

my ride has a useless clutch push rod.. ( from the cable side to the clutch basket).. also what will I need to do to replace it once it is found?

thanks guys

JP

Comment

You haven’t gotten an answer, so I’ll chime in. This is all from a 20yo memory, so may not be an exact fit.

On my ’78 gs550 the clutch push rod stuck out of the case in front of the front sprocket. When I broke/threw a chain, the chain was propelled forward into the pushrod, bending or breaking it (my god, did I really do this THREE times?)
      The force on the pushrod deformed the seal in the engine case. This caused it to leak oil, obviously. And a bent clutch pushrod simply doesn’t work, so the clutch doesn’t work.
      The fix: obtain new pushrod and seal. (Drain the oil?) Remove the right side cover and remove the pushrod. (I can’t remember what I had to do inside the case to remove the rod) Remove the seal from the left side. Install new seal, install new pushrod. Replace right case cover. (Refill oil?)

Preventive maintenance: Pay more attention to your chain tension and/or exercise more care when installing the master link.

I hope this helps and I’m remembering it mostly right.

Comment

yeah I know..

I had just made an adjustment three days before and was looking at it... but got in a hurry ( running late for an appointment ..) and didn't take the tem mins to adjust it.. chhain is in the last stages and I was trying to squeak by until I could afford the new chain and sprockets ( middle of the month income)... thanks for the info btw.. what do the two bolts attach to inside the tranny case where the seal is??

JP

Comment

I had a 77 GS550 that had a severely rusted and pitted clutch push rod. I made some phone calls and found a guy at a machine shop that said he would take a look at it on a Saturday while the shop was closed. He measured the good end of the rod to get the correct diameter. He then put the rod in a lathe, straighted any slight bends, and began turning it down till all the pits were removed. He then carefully pressed a stainless steel sleeve over the turned portion of the rod and again turned the new sleeved part down to the correct diameter. Everything was to spec, and it never leaked. Best of all, he only charged me 30 bucks.

Comment

what year is your 550?

I have a spare 80-82 550 engine in my garage that i could rub some parts off if ya need me to..
            1980 Gs550e....Not stock... :)

Comment

it is a '78 gs550 c model...no major mods to motor that I am aware of.
              you can PM me I am set up for it..

JP

Comment

Working...
              X