No announcement yet.

Idle/Running problems with a 1983 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish the Suzuki service manual had a better picture.. When I originally rebuilt the carbs, I used these instructions/illustration for setting the 22.4mm float height... It looked like the measurement was from the rim instead of from the gasket seat... Does anyone else have a poor/confusing picture like this one in their service manual?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2006, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Ok, so I adjusted the float height using the correct method, and now I can get the engine to idle nicely!

With air filter on, and everything nice snug and tight, It bogs right down and dies if I try and give it some throttle. I can lightly seat all 4 pilot screws (0 turns out from lightly seated) and the engine still idles nicely... I can even turn them out 4+ turns out and the engine still idles nicely...

Does this mean I'm way too rich now? Is the float level now too high maybe?

The engine bogs down and dies if I give it throttle regardless if the pilot screws are 0 turns out from lightly seated, or anywhere to 4+ turns.. I guess I'm too rich now?

Comment

Sounds like an intake leak or pilot jet issue. When you say you put new jets in the bike did you use mikuni jets or a rebuild kits jets. I'd only run mikuni jets in your bike. Did you put the caps back over the pilot jets?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I installed these kits:

K&L GS750E 80-82
          CARB REP KIT: K-629
          18-2592

I was told it would also work on my '83 GS750E, but maybe that's the problem? I still have the original pilot screws so I can try installing the originals too.

I didn't install the new caps that came in the kit..

Here is a picture of the kits:

http://snlintl.com/pic/suzuki.jpg

Comment

Dip your old jets and clean them with wire and reinstall them. Use the new pilot jet cap. You really don't need to replace jets, just make sure they are clean. I only use the kits for the gaskets, float needles and seats.
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

bogging problem

Hi all. Awesome forum. I haven't been on in awhile though and had to re-register.
              I know this thread is from May 2005, but I didn't find out how the guy's bogging issued was solved, if it ever was.
              I have a 1985 GS700ES and it boggs down and wants to die when I twist the throttle at idle.
              I may sell it soon, but don't really want to until I solve the problem.
              I understand it can be dirty carbs, leaks at the carb boots etc......
              But....anyone know how this guy solved his problem or have any suggestions.
              Thanks !
              Bill

Comment

Working...
              X