Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a motorcycle....

but wound up with a flame trougher.

Ok seriously now... tried to start the 750 this past weekend. Cranks fine, got nice blue spark but wont start. After cranking for about 5~10 seconds it finally goes off like a cannon shooting a foot long flame out the back. I'm now a hit with the neighborhood kids who seem to think this is cool but not exactly what I bought my GS for. I dont have the air cleaner box on (which from reading around may or may not be an issue) because its missing what looks like a foam seal on the top part of the filter. I have an idea on how to fix this but will wait to see if it works before posting results. Also I need to ask about the fire order, is it 1-4 from left to right sitting on the bike? Also do I need to plug/run hoses from the vaccume ports on the carb (again reading around found thats what they are) becaue there is no hose going to the tank? I currently have the tank off the bike connected to the carbs with a long gas hose. I've had the carbs off and checked each bowl. There was some funk but cleaned up pretty easly. I did the test with spraying a little starting fluid in each cylinder and it ran for a second when the carbs were off. Oh and another FYI it has a 4 into 1 exhaust with no baffle. Also can somone tell me what size the stock jets are? Well thats about where I'm at for now TIA.

You have two coils on this bike and each coil fires two cylinders. The coils actually fire every rotation of the crank so that each cylinder gets a spark on the compression stroke, and a spark on the exhaust stroke - which is basically a wasted spark. Normally, cylinders 1 and 4 are on one coil and cylinders 2 and 3 are on the other.

I would check to see if you have a couple of the sparkplug wires crossed to the wrong plugs.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
      You have two coils on this bike and each coil fires two cylinders. The coils actually fire every rotation of the crank so that each cylinder gets a spark on the compression stroke, and a spark on the exhaust stroke - which is basically a wasted spark. Normally, cylinders 1 and 4 are on one coil and cylinders 2 and 3 are on the other.

I would check to see if you have a couple of the sparkplug wires crossed to the wrong plugs.

Hap
      Yep the wires on the coils are numbered and I know the firing orded is 1,2,3,4 but is that left to right or right to left (sitting on the bike)?

Comment

The center vacuum port of the three needs to be hooked to the petcock, or plugged. That might be why it won't fire. The outer two are vents. With your mods, you can leave them as is without hooking hoses to them. The cylinder order is 1-4, left to right sitting on the bike. Stock main jets are 102's for the 750. With your pipe, you might need to re-jet if it hasn't been done already.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukizilla
          Yep the wires on the coils are numbered and I know the firing orded is 1,2,3,4 but is that left to right or right to left (sitting on the bike)?
          Sitting on the bike the cylinders are numbered, left to right, 1, 2, 3, 4. I'm not sure the firing order is 1-2-3-4 though...I don't think it is. It may be 1-4-3-2. Need to check the shop manual to be sure.

Hap

Comment

firing order is 1-3-4-2, this is by far the most common firing order for a in-line 4 cylinder engine.

the outside (1-4) pistons move up and down together, and the inside pair (2-3) move together, so for even firing intervals you only have two choices of firing order. 1-3-4-2, and 1-2-4-3, for some reason I am not aware of, 1-3-4-2 is far and away the most popular, I am not aware of any engines that use 1243.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-07-2006, 02:12 PM.

Comment

also, four cylinder engines only fire two cylinders each revolution.

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                also, four cylinder engines only fire two cylinders each revolution.
                I guess what I ment is the cylinder numbers from left to right 8-[ but it looks like I had the wires on right.

Originally posted by renobruce
                The center vacuum port of the three needs to be hooked to the petcock, or plugged. That might be why it won't fire. The outer two are vents. With your mods, you can leave them as is without hooking hoses to them. The cylinder order is 1-4, left to right sitting on the bike. Stock main jets are 102's for the 750. With your pipe, you might need to re-jet if it hasn't been done already.
                The center port had a hose jumped from center to the left one so I'm just going to plug the center one and also see what size jets I have.

Comment

looks like you have a yoshimura 4 into 1 exhaust on that bike, can you please take a couple pics of your carbs and post them, just want to check if they are stocks carbs or another type.

the vacume port you have read about would be located on the front side of the carburators (the side in between the carbs and the motor) and is typically smaller then the other ones, for now if you have one plug it so no air can flow through it. the other port on the far left and far right are vent ports, they can be left open. the middle port is the fuel port need i say more.

you said you removed the gunk from the carbs, did you follow the carb clean series posted, step by step or did you just spary around a little bit. this is important in determining if your carbs are pluged up or just got things hooked up wrong.

-ryan
                  78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x
                  10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
                    looks like you have a yoshimura 4 into 1 exhaust on that bike, can you please take a couple pics of your carbs and post them, just want to check if they are stocks carbs or another type.

the vacume port you have read about would be located on the front side of the carburators (the side in between the carbs and the motor) and is typically smaller then the other ones, for now if you have one plug it so no air can flow through it. the other port on the far left and far right are vent ports, they can be left open. the middle port is the fuel port need i say more.

you said you removed the gunk from the carbs, did you follow the carb clean series posted, step by step or did you just spary around a little bit. this is important in determining if your carbs are pluged up or just got things hooked up wrong.

-ryan
                    Think the carbs are stock Mikunis as it has MIK I think stamped in the side but I'll get picks or a serial number tonight.

I'll have to relook at that vac port. because it looked like it was facing slightly toward the rear of the carb (of coarse not the gas inlet) just above the middle of the carb.

Basicly I just sprayed around and took a wiretie and dug around some of the ports to see if there was anything in them which there wasnt. I know I'll have to soak these carbs but I was just seeing if I could get this thing to run so I can get an idea of what I'm dealing with. Also taking things kinda slow cause I hurt my shoulder about a week ago and have limited use of my right arm.

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
                      the vacume port you have read about would be located on the front side of the carburators (the side in between the carbs and the motor) and is typically smaller then the other ones, for now if you have one plug it so no air can flow through it. the other port on the far left and far right are vent ports, they can be left open. the middle port is the fuel port need i say more. ryan
                      If they are the stock carbs (like shown in the pic), the ports face toward the rear... toward the air filters. Hook-up is as I stated earlier.

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Thats them. Hey Reno where does that braded line run to? Mine just has a hose that loops from the two outlets (out one side into the other). Is it for some kind of oil cooler?

Comment

Thats them. Hey Reno where does that braded line run to? Mine just has a hose that loops from the two outlets (out one side into the other). Is it for some kind of oil cooler?
                          They are for my oil cooler. Here's some pics:

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...obruce/GS1000/
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce
                            They are for my oil cooler. Here's some pics:

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...obruce/GS1000/
                            Very nice setup! I know that was a lot of work to get it that clean. Youv'e got a great looking bike.

Comment

Very nice setup! I know that was a lot of work to get it that clean. Youv'e got a great looking bike.
                              Thanks!! :-D
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Working...
                              X