Bought a motorcycle....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by focus frenzy
    1-3-4-2 is far and away the most popular, I am not aware of any engines that use 1243.
    I used to agree with you, at least until I read through my clymer manuals for my 650 AND my 850.

I was very surprised to see that BOTH of them have a 1-2-4-3 firing order. :shock:
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Alright I think I know what the problem is and it might have to do with the airbox. 1st I checked the plugs again and realizes that the plugs were gapped too wide so I fixed that. Then as I was pulling the plugs I realized that even after all this cranking they are bone dry. So I remembered an old trick to put your hand over the back of the carb to create suction and low and beholed there was a backfire in that cylinder. So I pull the plug and it drowing in gas. So do I need to get the airbox fixed or is the carbs so gummed up that its just not pulling gas from the bowl?

Comment

It lives... for a few seconds anyway.
        Put the air filter back in the airbox, got the box back on the bike but I have to pull the choke up as far as I can get it to keep it running for maybe 20 seconds then it just dies. Sometimes with a backfire. Sounds like its loading up (flooding)and killing the motor. Cold and choked it will idle @800 rpm. When it starts warming up (choked)it will idle @1200 but as I said it will slowly bog and die. So what now?

Comment

Guess I need to clean the carbs like First Timer said and see where that gets me. Unless anyone else as any ideas?

Comment

That would be a good place to start. Take those carbs off and clean 'em up. I would also get the orings for your carbs from www.cycleorings.com
            Robert Barr (a member).
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

While you have your carbs off, replace your maifold o-rings. They are almost certainly dried out. For my airbox seal, I just used some foam type weatherstripping.

Comment

Originally posted by wolfie
                While you have your carbs off, replace your maifold o-rings. They are almost certainly dried out. For my airbox seal, I just used some foam type weatherstripping.
                Thats a good idea. I took some clear 3/8 hose and siliconed it to the top of the air filter housing. Overkill compared to weatherstripping but it works:-D .

Where do I get manifold O rings at?

Comment

Working...
                X