No announcement yet.

Oil cooler Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

your motor is so small i wouldn't worry to much about a oil cooler for it, unless you are running the bike at WOT and 9k all day. if you are intrested this is the kind of oil cooler adapter you would proby need for your 2 valve per cylinder motor i think. i haven't heard or seen much talk about cooling a twin.

-ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Ohh ic thanks for ur reply...but i am really confused what is that aluminum block with two hoses all about on the oil coolers it mount by the starter cover right behind the cylinders is that where it gets oil or somthing how?....i thaught they used the in and out fittings inside the oil filter cover

Comment

that link i sent is a link for the 4 cylinder 8 valve gs, the oil filter cover oil adapter is for the 4 cylinder 16 valve motor.

-ryan
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x

Comment

ok so if i were to oil cool my gs400 what would i have to do, its a 4 valve.....on that 4 clylinder one what does that thing do on top of the engine does it get oil from the case somhow or what, another thing on my engione there is a big chrome nut on the stator cover that leads into the oil passages going to the head whats that for could i use that to push cooled oil into?

Comment

BASICALLY ALLLLL I WANT TO KNOW IS-lets say my bike was a 1978 gs400...where would i get the oil from to go to the cooler and where would i return it to?

Comment

there should be a big plastic nut thing with a wire hooked to it, under the carbs, that is your oil pressure switch, the swithc is mount to a metal plate. if you remove the plate and switch you will see a tower with a big hole in the middle, that is where oil is pumped out of (your output port) you will also see two little holes one in the front of the tower and one behind the tower. both of these are your input ports ( they draw the oil back into the engine) pic one to use most adapters feed the oil over the back hole and the oil would fill the space and be sucked in by both holes. so you need to get oil out of your output port and feed it back to the input port. thats why you need a adapter and you can't buy one they are rare. this is how the 8 valve 4 cly bikes work, i am not sure about twins, can you take a picture of the area under the carbs. take off your oil pressure switch plate and see what i am talking about. there should be a rubber oil as a gasket so you can put it back no problem.

-ryan
              82 Kat 1000 Project
              05 CRF450x

Comment

my engine doesnt have anything in that area i dont even think it had a oil pressure switch all there was is a starter cover and on the tub the cam chain tenshener theres a metal nut a little ways back but its for the shifter reel inside theres a spring with a metal ball pushing on the grooves inside ...other wise theres the gear indicator on the side and the only nut is on the stator cover it goes into the oil passages but i dont even know what its for my engine is strange in the manual it shows two covers on the bottom my has one just for the oil filter.

Comment

i'm sorry you have complettly lost, i will need some pis to work, i will try to look at bike bandit and se eif they have some engine diagrams
                  82 Kat 1000 Project
                  05 CRF450x

Comment

my engine doesnt have anything in that area that you stated...the only thing i can find is a big chrome nut on the stator cover that leads into a oil journal....i dont know what thats for...on the top under the carbs there is nothing but a starter cover

Comment

here first timer a picture for the post above the chrome nut the leads into the oil passage im guessing up the studs to the head?

Do you think that could be used for a in or out port and theres a nut on the bottom of the oil filter cover can that be used for in or out??
                      Please help me out here i just want to know if its possible to install an oil cooler on my bike.

Comment

thats doesn't help much that is just to check oil pressure and i'm scared if you take oil from there then you will be starving oil from somewhere in the motor. can you take some more pictures of the motor it's self so maybe we can see what the setup is like.

-ryan
                        82 Kat 1000 Project
                        05 CRF450x

Comment

Okay i will do that... and yes i was thinking the same thing about losing pressure...when i open that chrome cap it goes into a round oil journal that leads all the way tto the other side of the motor ....that area is pressurized with oil and the oil goes around the triangle o-rings at the base up the studs to the head....i wonder if there is oil pressure that goes into the bottom also for the rollerbearings or if the pump is only for the top end. i will get some pictures.

Comment

So could you tell me if i can oil cool my engine or not?

Comment

i looked at the pics and i can honestly say i have no idea. You i think are the firt person on this site that has tried or wants to install a oil cooler on your 400. what is the bolt the sits right behind the starter? maybey you can take oil from that? and then just run it back to your clutch cover or sumtin? i have no idea. you may need to fully take the motor apart and figure out how the oil runs through it?

sorry i can't help all i can say is keep it on the street or if in dirt don't run it at WOT.

-ryan
                              82 Kat 1000 Project
                              05 CRF450x

Comment

Working...
                              X