How to tell an "L" model?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tell an "L" model?

There is a fuel tank on Ebay for an '82 GS 550L. I happen to have an '81 GS 550, but am not sure if it is an "L" model. What is the best way to tell? Also, will the 1 year difference be an issue? Just from the pics, it LOOKS like the right tank.

Thanks

L means it is a cruiser as opposed to a sport/standard bike. The easiest way to tell is the seat, if it has a high step, its an L

Comment

A couple of things to check:

Is your seat rather straight front to back, or is there a sizeable step up for the passenger?
      Are the handlebars a rather traditional bend, or are they upswept and pulled back?
      Are the fenders painted or chrome?
      Is there some painted body work between the seat and the tail light, or just the chrome fender?

The first bike in each of those choices is the standard model, the second one is the L.

Good pictures and other information can be found here:
      http://www.suzukicycles.org/All-Suzu...ki_models.html
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

pull back bars

if the bars are swept back the PO may have put them on the bike for comfort..

I did on my 550 c.. because i like to ride upright ( back issues)..

call your $uzuki shop and ask about the tank numbers.. or talk to the longest employed service man or manager..

they could tell you if they are the same

JP

Comment

Okay it looks like I do NOT have an "L" model:

Someone put dirtbike, yes DIRTBIKE bars on the bike! It is pretty comfortable though....

This tank is off a 550L. It looks like it should fit???

Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2006, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Interesting mix of parts there. The front fender is painted, but is the shape of the chrome L fender. The chrome headlight says "L". The shape of the front of the tank says "L". The chrome rear fender without any bodywork on it says "L". The shorter mufflers say "L". But the relatively flat seat says "standard". With that much evidence (thanks for the picture \\/ ), I would say that somebody painted the front fender and hacked the seat on your "L" model.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

It will say L on the frame cover:-) That's my Madden take on it.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X