Crankshaft big end/small end on 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankshaft big end/small end on 1100

I've several references to 1100 cranks having a big end or a little end on the left side. Think the change occured from 82 to 83 and maybe on the 82 Katana.
    Does this mean that they will not interchange or is just the journal larger but the outside diameter on the bearing the same?

I think they are talking about the end where the alternator rotor goes on. The early models had trouble with the rotor coming loose and breaking the end off the crank. They changed the end of the crank, and the rotor itself. They did start welding the crank pins in mid "82", but I'm unaware of any journal size or bearings being changed.

Comment

OK. I got the impression from what I've read and they way it is referenced that the diameter of the journal was increased to stop the breakage, but I don't for sure.
      Thanks.

Comment

pjackson, my experience says the change in the crankshaft end diameter was made beginning with the ES model only in 1983 and continued thereafter on the GS1150s. The 1983 GS1100 ES was the white one with the blue stripes and small fairing. The standard GS1100s in 1982 and 1983 (non ES model) all had the smaller end.

The change was to increase the diameter of the cylindrical portion from 25mm diameter to 29mm. I don't know what change this made to the taper on the crank or its mate on the alternator hub. Otherwise the cranks are identical for 1982 and 1983.

Comment

I've got an 83 1100ED and an 82 1100EZ (parts bike) The only difference in cranks is the 82 has a smaller end (and the 83 is welded). Taper and cylindrical part of end. The rotor assembley has a smaller center to match. I believe race shops like Falicon typically install the bigger end when they rebuild cranks. This would mean buying a new rotor or boring out the smaller '82 rotor.

Comment

Working...
          X