No Spark on 1&4 With Dyna S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Spark on 1&4 With Dyna S

As the title states I am not getting any spark of cylinders 1 and 4, although it will work for a second every now and then (Lots of fun...NOT) I have the dyna S and 3 Ohm coils.
    I have rewired the 12 volt feed to the coils through a relay so the only factory wiring left in that system is the 12 volts from the kill switch to activate the relay. All connections and grounds have been redone since i first experienced the problem.
    I have tried swapped the coils arround and the problem stays on cylinders 1&4.

So, i guess what i am asking is do i have a bad Dyna S?

Also, would it be worth it to swap in my old points, or have i hit the nail on the head and need to get a replacement from dyna?
    Feel The Pulse!

1982 GS1100E with Tracy one piece body
    2007 Roadstar Midnight Warrior

ebay cntgeek

If the problem didn't folow the swap it's more than likely the CDI unit. The only other thing it could be is the trigger.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My GS1000 does not have CDI so it must be a trigger.

But just incase you and I are missing something, does anyone have anymore thoughts?
      Feel The Pulse!

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Did you remove the points for the Dyno? That acts as a CDI
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I removed the points and installed the dyna and the coils in May. The problem just started to occur last month while i was on my way to work.
          Feel The Pulse!

ebay cntgeek

Comment

I thought one of my coils was bad. Called Dyna and the whole thing. Turned out that one of my wires orange coil wires had disconnected way back on the frame.

My understanding from the calls I made trying to work this problem out was that assuming that all your connections are good, the coils rarely go bad, its usually a problem with the pick-up assembly. It doesn't sound like your coils are bad.

Let me know if you need the coil and pick-up tests, I kept all my stuff when I installed my Dyna S. You can also send them back to Dyna and they will test them for you.

Comment

Yes, swap in your old points to be sure the problem is in the Dyna ignition. The pick up and module are one and the same piece. Check the resistance of the coil to make sure it's in spec, too low of a resistance will smoke the Dyna S......3 ohms sounds kind of low. Are those the proper coils???.....BadBillyB

Comment

yes, 3 Ohm are the proper Coil for an electronic ignition (5 Ohm for points).

I will swap in the old points later this week and post back.
                Would there be any ill effects from running my points for a short time with 3 ohm coils, or should i put old some 5 ohms in?
                Last edited by Flatline_Racing; 08-08-2006, 11:02 PM.
                Feel The Pulse!

ebay cntgeek

Comment

I replaced my ignitor with a Dyna-S in March. In May it started malfunctioning. Indeed the Dyna-S was faulty. 1-4 trigger failed. Dyna replaced it no charge, but I've yet to install it again as the stock ignitor seems to be happy over the last few thousand miles. I had the 3 ohm Dynas as well.
                  GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Dynatek is usually good at testing, fixing or replacing items - they do give a 1 year warranty on the ignitions.

Just a general comment. Check your voltage at the battery (you should be getting no more than 14-15 volts at 4,000 rpm) - if your regulator / rectifier is not working properly and it's allowing higher voltage than this, it is possible to push too much voltage through the Dyna-S ignition and cause a failure.

In discussions with customers, several of those who had ignition problems also had charging system problems.

3 ohm coils are correct with the dyna-s ignitions.

Comment

I will check out the voltage at the battery, but it was ok when i installed an electrex rec/rec and stator at the same time that I installed the dyna.
                      Feel The Pulse!

ebay cntgeek

Comment

Just an FYI - Dynatek has been having phone problems this past week - they are listing a different phone number as a number to reach them until the problems with their toll-free number is resolved 626- 771- 4178

Comment

Working...
                        X