Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

140 MPH speedometer for '80 GS1000E

I did a search and haven't found an answer to this question:

My '80 GS1000E comes with a 80 MPH speedometer. Provided that I can find one, I'd like to upgrade it to a 140 MPH speedometer. Is it possible to plug a 140 MPH speedometer into this bike and have it worK? If so, what years and models of the GS line would have a compatible 140 MPH speedometer? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2006, 01:58 PM.

I've been looking for the same upgrade. I asked the same question and the response was they drop right in.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

geezus - 80mph.... why would they ever have made that???

at 80mph Im just changin into top gear ffs.....:shock:

good luck with that m8...

Comment

Found this in the for sale section: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=96523 don't know if it will work for you or not.. but don't see why not.

Comment

The 83 1100ED came with a 140 mph speedo and would be compatible. Other models probably top, but I have only had the 83 1100 for firsthand knowledge.

Earl

Originally posted by 80GS1000
          I did a search and haven't found an answer to this question:

My '80 GS1000E comes with a 80 MPH speedometer. Provided that I can find one, I'd like to upgrade it to a 140 MPH speedometer. Is it possible to plug a 140 MPH speedometer into this bike and have it worK? If so, what years and models of the GS line would have a compatible 140 MPH speedometer? Thanks in advance.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Pharkmeh
            geezus - 80mph.... why would they ever have made that???

at 80mph Im just changin into top gear ffs.....:shock:

good luck with that m8...
            Apparently they passed a law in the United States in 1980 that made any speedometer reading over 80 MPH illegal. This asinine law was repealed as it didn't prevent speeding, so later model bikes/cars had faster speedometers.

Originally posted by earlfor
            The 83 1100ED came with a 140 mph speedo and would be compatible. Other models probably top, but I have only had the 83 1100 for firsthand knowledge.

Earl
            Thanks for the help. Glad to know the 1100 clusters will work, because they look sweet. :-D \\/
            Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2006, 02:00 PM.

Comment

My 81 GS850L had an 85mph speedometer when I got it. I replaced it with a 140 mph apeedo from an 82 650L. The 140 speedo is slightly larger than the 85, but I was able to make it work. I think I had to make a slight wiring change to boot, but it works fine.

Comment

But the question remains: Do you really need to know how much you're breaking the speed limit by? I'm not planning on upgrading my 81's speedo anytime soon for the simple fact that If I bury the needle, (which is often) I at least have the honest response that I really didn't know how fast I was going!:-D

Brad tt

Comment

Mine got replaced after I broke the stoke one.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor

Earl
                    Does anyone know when they went back to the 140 mph speedo? I have an 82 1100G with an 80 mph speedo and I'm wondering if it's not the original.

Comment

On my 81, I kinda like that I can bury the clocks in the top of 3rd gear. I could say that I buried the speedo on just about every ride. On the 83, I rarely do.
                      Currently bikeless
                      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

They changed back to normal speedometers in 1983. Joan Claybrook was, if I'm not mistaken, transportation secretary in Jimmy Carter's administration. It was her idea to change speedos to 85mph on cars and motorcycles. The woman is one of those communists who believes that the role of government is to control every aspect of human behavior and remove any chance of enjoying life.

Comment

bloody amazing.....:shock:

soz to jac ur thread - but thx for the info guyz.... crazy bastages in charge huh...

goodluck with ur speedo mod m8...:-D

Comment

I have one of those half-azzed speedos on my '82 GS850L as well. A freind of mine just gave me the instrument cluster off of a '79 GS750 parts bike he has. I have 13,383 miles on my bike, and the replacement speedo has about 16,500. I figure in a few months when I get close to that, I will swap them out.

Comment

Do those two years have the self cancelling turn signals? Mine work well and would like to keep it over a 140 mph speedo. But I do really want a 140 speedo though.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X