Ignition Coils 78 GS750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition Coils 78 GS750E

Just wondering if anyone has any insight as to what the stock OHM rating on my 1978 GS750E was? I am looking at putting Dyna coils on it wiht points. I think I need 5 ohm coils for this set-up. Thanks

Well I talked with the guys at Dynotek and they stated that they are 5OHM coils. I am still running the stock points. And I am running new plug wires. I found out the other day that my number 4 cylinder is not firing and when it is it is quite weak. I am sure that after 28 years the coils are weak so new ones should help the bike with smoothness.

Comment

If you're looking at changing out the coils, you might want to consider going a step further and change over to the Dyna S ignition. It will fire much more accurately than a set of points could ever do and will smooth out your engine especially at high rpm's. I think you need the 3 ohm coils for that setup though.

Comment

RJ you are correc that I would need the 3 OHM coils for the pointless system on my bike however I am not able to budget that change just yet. I just want to replace the coils so I can ride the bike for now. I will most likely change the coils and ignition later when $ permits. I can then sell the new (used) coils at that time on ebay or on this site. Thanks for the input though I was thinking of that change but just can't afford it. Some riding is better than no riding.

Comment

Hey MP, Have you checked Z1Enterprises? Much better than any other place I've seen for Dyna. I believe RJ is correct, S system is a much bigger bang for the buck than coils. I noticed a big change with the S system, but no noticable change with the 3k ohm coils and new wires. Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Working...
          X