using a car ignition coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using a car ignition coil

can u hook up a car's ignition coil with a distributor directly to the ignitor and the stock plugs?

Don't think so.
    In theory you could, but you would need four coils; one for every cylinder. Skip the distributor, there's no distributor on a GS.
    I'd get some new bike coils if I were you. Cheaper and easier to install.

Comment

Jojo is right.

Remember you have two cylinders firing at the same time on a 4-cylinder GS, and car-type coils cannot fire two plugs, only one, so you would need one coil for each cylinder, as he said.

The expense and effort of having to design a new system that would work with the GS basics, then finding/buying the parts would not be worth it.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Re: using a car ignition coil

NO!!

Earl

Originally posted by ice109
        can u hook up a car's ignition coil with a distributor directly to the ignitor and the stock plugs?
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Remember you have two cylinders firing at the same time on a 4-cylinder GS,
          Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they all fire at different times? 1 and 4 are at TDC together, but they should fire 360 degrees apart. You can have 2 sets of points fire 4 cylinders separately very easilly as when 1 is on detonation - 4 should be at TDC also and at the start of the intake cycle. Igniting it would have no effect.

Comment

It's late - I guess I just said what you did - my apologies! 1 and 4 do fire at the same time.

Comment

ok well i was just wondering

Comment

Still easier and cheaper just to get the proper coils for it.

Comment

my coils arent dead, i was just curious if it would work

Comment

Give them a little funeral then order some Dyna Coils.

Comment

So basicly... the engine is a pair of linked parallel twins?
                      I always thought that it would fire like a 4 banger car engine. 1342

Jim

Comment

No reason why it would not work if you can fit two coils and split the output of each into two (as per the standard bike coils). The question is whether it is work the effort.

Comment

1&4 and 2&3 get fire to the plugs at the same time. This actually helps burn off any residual fuel mixture before the fill stroke. They all have individual compression strokes and firing times, but they get fire at the same time every stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by FOMOGO
                            So basicly... the engine is a pair of linked parallel twins?
                            I always thought that it would fire like a 4 banger car engine. 1342

Jim
                            It does, practically all automotive four cylinder engines use 180 degree cranks just like motorcycle four cylinder engines.
                            several car makers, during the mid 80's to the late 90's, used distributor-less ignition systems that on four cylinder engines used two dual output coils to fire all four cylinders, 1 and 4, 2 and 3.
                            general motors, distributor-less coils would work on our bikes, IF the resistance and power requirements are within the tolerance level of the igniter box.
                            that is the problem, the GM coils have a very high output, they would most likely overload the igniter and burn it out.
                            Gm and others have gone to individual coils for each cylinder, on the GM vortec v-8's the coils have igniters built into each coil, the ECM tells each coil when to fire and the coil triggers it's self.
                            that way the timing can be adjusted to each cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                              1&4 and 2&3 get fire to the plugs at the same time. This actually helps burn off any residual fuel mixture before the fill stroke. They all have individual compression strokes and firing times, but they get fire at the same time every stroke.
                              Ok... that makes a LOT more sence. Fire at top of compression stroke AND fire at top of exhaust stroke.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                              X