Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS550e - Directional Problem - Ground wire cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS550e - Directional Problem - Ground wire cut?

Hello All,

I'm having a problem with my directionals not blinking unless I'm at 2-3k RPM. I've checked as much of the wiring as I could find and taped/cleaned any questionable connections. This didn't fix the problem (however it seemed to make the directionals start "blinking" a little sooner - closer to 2k than 3k).

I noticed a cut wire near the rear right direction, where the directional unit screws into the bike. This wire has a metal ring which attaches around the directional's screw (and is secured onto the bike with a nut).

I assume this wire is for grounding the directional (?). However, the wire sticks out about a half inch and is then cut. I can't find the other end of the wire and I'm wondering if this is supposed to be connected to something else?

Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks

Yes that is the ground wire. It should plug into a dual receptacle type of socket connected to a black wire with a white stripe. That's how it's set up on my '82 1100. Take the tailpiece off of the bike and fish around for that connector. That should solve the problem.

Comment

Improper Ground

Improper grounding of the entire circuit will affect all the components on that circuit. The flasher unit works off of a resistive load and if that is too high or too low the will work wonky. Also as a side note I had a Honda that I removed a ground wire that seemed not to affect any circuit and it took out the recharging of the battery.. and the ground wire was at the rear of the bike!!!! replaced it and it and it began to hold charge.

JP

Comment

Let me be more clear... there are two black (white stripped) wires coming out of the light. One of those wires goes to a dual receptacle type of socket connector that's connected to another black/white wire to then towards the front of the bike. But (and i haven't opened the light itself) neither of the wires that come out of the light go directly to ground before connecting to the dual socket. Is this the error?

Also, I cleaned every wire/ground type thing i could fine and my right blinkers now blink most of the time, but the right ones never.

Thanks!!

Originally posted by RJ
        Yes that is the ground wire. It should plug into a dual receptacle type of socket connected to a black wire with a white stripe. That's how it's set up on my '82 1100. Take the tailpiece off of the bike and fish around for that connector. That should solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by RJ
          Question: can i test this ground issue by unplugging both wires from the "dual socket" and then hold those to the frame? Would I also need to press the dual socket up to the frame?

Comment

You have TWO black/white stripe wires coming out of the turn signal?

Comment

correct, after looking at OEM parts on bikebandit, i think it's clear that what i have are aftermarket.

Comment

Working...
              X