popping with choke on!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

popping with choke on!

First of all my bike runs great But I have a little popping when the choke is wide open and thats the only time it does it.Could this be a lean condition or possibly a bad exhaust gasket?Also if I downshift with high rpms going I will get a small pop but only once though.I get great gas mileage and have not done anything to the carbs but sync them.No intake leaks at all (new everything) and it idles exellent.Any answers or thoughts would be appreciated!

Mine also pops with the choke on full but resides when I back it off. My theory is that it is rich with choke and it is popping unburnt fuel. I also pop a little on decal but I blame this on a Kerker 4-1 pipe.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366
      Mine also pops with the choke on full but resides when I back it off. My theory is that it is rich with choke and it is popping unburnt fuel. I also pop a little on decal but I blame this on a Kerker 4-1 pipe.
      My bike pops a little on full choke as well, but I'm not going to worry about it since once its warmed up it runs good (finally). For me its helped to just give it a little less choke when starting (about 2/3 - 3/4) and back it off right away. I only need choke in this warm weather for about 15 seconds or so.

A little pop on a long decel is probably no big deal as well.
      Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2006, 11:27 PM.

Comment

i think most 4 into ones do that. casue of the rich fuel mixture they get. and most of the times popping is left over burn fuel. Both bikes, gs 750 and gs 1100 with four into ones now pop. Another thing I notice they do with those setups on is they need more choke too start up on the first throw off the key.

Comment

Working...
        X