Time for an oil change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for an oil change?

When I bought my bike, the guy said he last changed the oil last summer. I'm thinking I might have to do that soon. Here are some things I'm seeing:

I looked at the oil level indicator and it's all solid murky brown. Not sure if I'm supposed to check it with a cold or hot engine, but I looked at it after a lengthy ride.

My friend says the exhaust smells like it's burning a little oil. It smells like standard motorcycle exhaust to me, but I might have to take his word for it.

The clutch seems to be slipping a little bit in every gear, especially first gear from a stop.

Could the oil need changing soon?

I change my oil when I have a bad day. Makes me feel better. Your clutch slippage might be oil related but probably not. If your clutch plates aren't worn you need new clutch springs.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I've found that the oil gets dark pretty quickly in both my bikes. I think it's the nature of the beast. As for burning oil, they all burn oil. Question is how much becomes too much. How often do you have to add oil? Do you have consistant blue smoke from the exhaust? You can also check your spark plugs to see if they are oily. If you're in doubt about the condition of the oil, change it. A new filter might be a good idea too. At least that way you don't have to wonder anymore. rThis also may improve your clutch slippage issue but be sure to check the free play in the clutch cable. If the cable is adjusted to tight, slippage will occur. Oil level should be checked on level ground, bike on centerstand usually. If you check it hot, give it a few minutes for the oil to settle.

Comment

Change your oil AT LEAST every spring and fall.

Comment

With modern oils, change every 5000kms or 6 months, whichever comes first. Old oil thins out, gear change and clutch suffers etc etc. If oil is doing its job it will darken. With lots of short trips the oil window will gunk up as the oil is not getting hot enough to get rid of moisture.

Comment

Murky-Brown, what the heck kind of color is that for oil? Gold (some I hear are red) progressing to black, that is the norm for my bike. Is your vent tube blocked keeping condensation in the case? Water in the oil will cause a brown color that will get more milky. dump that stuff, put in some mobil 1 and see if the color is ok after 1000km or so. Change your oil in the spring before you ride and again at 5-6000km or about 3000miles (if you don't want to do it too often, I dump it every 2500-3000km). Then put in something that is $1/liter in the fall when you store it since you are just going to dump it in the spring anyway.

Comment

I really don't care what the PO tells me...the first thing I do when I buy any vehicle is change the oil...

Bob T.
              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam
                I really don't care what the PO tells me...the first thing I do when I buy any vehicle is change the oil...

Bob T.
                Couldn't agree more. Oil, filters, plugs,...cheap insurance and peace of mind.

Comment

Murky brown sounds like water in the oil :?

Comment

I'm gonna change the oil in a few minutes and I'll see if everything's good.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirleySerious
                      I'm gonna change the oil in a few minutes and I'll see if everything's good.
                      Do NOT Overtighten the Filter Cover Nuts! The Studs are Fragile and Easy to Strip. Snug is Good!
                      sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                      2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Oil's all changed. It turns out it wasn't "murky brown" but rather the normal black. Bike runs smoother now, but shifts are a little sticky when cold.

Comment

Hey Shirl, depending on how much you ride. You should change the oil every 2 to 3 thousand miles, and replace the filter. If you're not putting that many miles on in a year, you should probably be changing it every few months during the riding season.

Also, when checking the oil, the general procedure is to check it after the engine has gotten to operating temperture and the bike is on the centerstand. I usually give it a few minutes before I check the level in the sight glass.

Brad tt

Comment

Lucky

I guess I'm lucky because my bike seems to burn zero oil (or at least not that I can detect). Nevertheless, I change it in the spring and fall...and in between if I ride a lot. I think it's a good idea but there's no reason to get 'carried away'. Be reasonable and you can't go wrong.\\/
                            1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                            X