Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas In Cylinders

Hi,

If you suspected that one or more of you cylinders was filled with gas from a petcock leak, what would be the proper procedure for clearing the gas out? The only thing I can think of is to remove the spark plugs and invert the bike which is not practical.

It did occur to me that if I cranked the engine with the sparkplugs removed it would get rid of some of the gas but not all of it.

Would a wooden dowel down the spark plug hole to the top of the piston coming out dry be a good enough test to see if gas was in there in the first place?

Thanks,
    Jeff

I just had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago....I took all the plugs out and spun the motor over for 2 or 3 seconds.....then leave it sit for a while and let the gas evaporate. Make sure you are not looking at the holes cuz that gas will shoot out like a geyser !!!!

You would also want too make sure you are not getting more raw fuel in the cylinders, so shut off or disconnect your petcock if that is what is wrong. I then spun it again after waiting just to make sure .

Comment

The fuel will seep past the rings given a little time if the leak is remedied. Fix the leak and change your oil. It wouldn't be a bad idea to place a small amount of oil down the problem cylinder(s) before restarting the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
        The fuel will seep past the rings given a little time if the leak is remedied. Fix the leak and change your oil. It wouldn't be a bad idea to place a small amount of oil down the problem cylinder(s) before restarting the bike.
        I forgot to add that very important step..... CHANGE YOUR OIL. In my case I did not get a lot of gas in the oil, but it was there.

Comment

Thanks guys..carbs are out of the bike and apart..new petcock on order.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
          X