i need help wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boondocks
    .....The point of the regulator is to prevent too much voltage to the battery, but the OEM Suzuki R/R regulates only two of the three stator legs. .....
    Is that true of the R/R on newer , like 03+, gsx's??

Comment

Originally posted by nichols750
      They run three leg R/Rs. Even my '85 has all three legs running directly to the R/R.

Comment

The only way to know for sure is to look at a circuit diagram in a factory shop manual. The diagram for the OEM R/R for my '80 GS1100ET clearly shows only two stator legs being regulated, and the third being sent through wiring to the headlight shell (unswitched because there is no headlight switch) before making a loop and returning to the third R/R lead.

If all three wires were originally connected directly to the R/R, if the headlight is wired to be always on the R/R could still have only two of the three stator wires regulated. Suzuki GS models have this "feature" which was probably a cost-cutting move by their supplier. I would expect that it was dropped at some point in favor of a fully regulated R/R, but I don't know when it occurred. A change in OEM supplier could also have produced a fully regulated R/R. Maybe if Billy Ricks has a schematic of the R/R for his '85, he could tell us the stator wire regulation layout.

Comment

so on my '78 would there be any benefit of wiring that loop in before the new R/R? or should I just skip it? my head likes the idea on have less unconnected wires floating around, but if it makes no difference i can live with a couple of loose wires.

Comment

Here is a link to the diagram for my bike. http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...gAnch=imgAnch6
            I have three yellow wires coming from the stator to the R/R. From there I have a red wire from the R/R that branches out in two directions. One goes to the ignition switch to provide power for the parking light and the other goes to the fuse block and on to the battery. The red to the ignition switch also runs back to the fuse block as an orange wire to split off and provide power for the three 10 amp fuses for the various circuits.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
              Here is a link to the diagram for my bike. http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...gAnch=imgAnch6
              I have three yellow wires coming from the stator to the R/R. From there I have a red wire from the R/R that branches out in two directions. One goes to the ignition switch to provide power for the parking light and the other goes to the fuse block and on to the battery. The red to the ignition switch also runs back to the fuse block as an orange wire to split off and provide power for the three 10 amp fuses for the various circuits.
              The wiring diagram for the bike doesn't reveal the workings of the R/R, or how many stator leads are regulated. To know how the R/R works, you would need a schematic of the R/R itself. The factory shop manual has it for my bike.

Comment

so on my '78 would there be any benefit of wiring that loop in before the new R/R? or should I just skip it? my head likes the idea on have less unconnected wires floating around, but if it makes no difference i can live with a couple of loose wires.
                There is no benefit if you always leave the lights switched on. Turning them off briefly won't hurt, but it you run with the lights off it's best to run the wire through the headlight switch.

If you leave the lights on after starting the bike, I would bypass the switch and connect all three stator leads directly to the R/R.

Comment

The wiring diagram for the bike doesn't reveal the workings of the R/R, or how many stator leads are regulated. To know how the R/R works, you would need a schematic of the R/R itself. The factory shop manual has it for my bike.
                  I've got the factory manual and it shows all three leads are regulated. All three have three diodes and all three go into a control unit in the R/R. If I had time I'd scan it and post it. If I remember to I do it tomorrow. The lighting switch comes into play after the R/R.

Comment

I've got the factory manual and it shows all three leads are regulated. All three have three diodes and all three go into a control unit in the R/R. If I had time I'd scan it and post it. If I remember to I do it tomorrow. The lighting switch comes into play after the R/R.
                    All R/R's have six diodes for full wave rectification (DC conversion). This is the rectifier circuit and does not identify the manner of regulation. The key to how many stator leads are regulated is whether they flow through a SCR. If there are three SCR's, all stator leads are regulated. If two SCR's, this is the R/R designed with an unregulated light switch circuit.
                    Last edited by Guest; 08-11-2006, 08:25 PM.

Comment

All R/R's have six diodes for full wave rectification (DC conversion). This is the rectifier circuit and does not identify the manner of regulation. The key to how many stator leads are regulated is whether they flow through a SCR. If there are three SCR's, all stator leads are regulated. If two SCR's, this is the R/R designed with an unregulated light switch circuit.
                      Actaully my diagram shows a total of 9 diodes. Links to the pages.
                      http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...gAnch=imgAnch2

http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...gAnch=imgAnch1

Comment

The three objects near the control unit that look like diodes are SCR's, so all three stator phases are regulated in the R/R.

Comment

alright all wired up, and it charges good, runs great.
                          i'm riding again.
                          just in case anyone wants to know. i used a R/R from a 05 750 gsxr, it was about three times bigger than the old rectifier, but, it has all the same leads and works great. i by passed the headlight loop as i leave my headlight on most of the time, anyway.
                          thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                          X