Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a head gasket but not the kit...

Hi there,

I recently went through the top end of my 1980 GS1000E replacing all of the gaskets from the piston block up. The engine had developed leaks in the usual places- cam cover, head between #2&#3 near the tach cable, etc... I purchased one of those complete gasket sets to do this and things seemed to go just peachy. When I got everything put back together the bike ran beautifully, but after running a bit I noticed that the head gasket was weeping oil badly around piston #1. I checked all the torqe levels on the head bolts and the tightening order. I suspect that I just didn't get that part of the old gasket cleaned off well enough (it was a real bear to get off!). Anyway, now I'm trying to find a good source for purchasing just a replacement head gasket, without having to cough up the $ for the whole kit again. Suggestions and comments welcome.
    Thanks!

p.s. I checked through the forums for suggestions already posted and tried "realgaskets" and the cycle-recycle page but haven't found what I need there yet- maybe I missed it... all suggestions welcome.

I get mine from my Suzuki dealer. He always has the basics in stock- head gaskets, cam cover gaskets, cables.

Get ready, head gaskets are typically the most expensive of all the gaskets!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Just stumbled across this.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-G...17825060QQrdZ1

Comment

ok,
        checked the local suzuki dealer... $88 but none in stock. If I can't find anything better, they will get it for me. I've got the ebay auction on my watchlist -thanks for the tip chiphead!- have to keep checking around while the auction runs on. I'll post a summary of what I find at the end of this thread for anyone else who may be interested... so check back.
        Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2006, 04:45 PM.

Comment

If you lift the head you should replace the base gasket and o-ringsagain as well.go genuine.

Dink

Comment

Originally posted by Biker326
            ok,
            checked the local suzuki dealer... $88 but none in stock. If I can't find anything better, they will get it for me. I've got the ebay auction on my watchlist -thanks for the tip chiphead!- have to keep checking around while the auction runs on. I'll post a summary of what I find at the end of this thread for anyone else who may be interested... so check back.
            Complete set avail here for about $60.00

Comment

conclusion...

Wow, thanks for all the help... Here is a summary of what I've come up with for all those who may come along with a similar question:

Suziki Dealer: Head gasket alone= ~$90
              Dennis Kirk: Complete Gasket Kit= forget it:shock:
              Bike Bandit: didn't have it
              e-bay: have to do some searching but well worth it on a budget -downside is it's not usually very fast.
              partsnmore.com: complete gasket kit= $60

I'm sure there are other good places to look. I personally went with the partsnmore.com option because they offered free shipping to the US and I didn't want to wait any longer- summer's fly'n by my leaky bike!
              Thanks again to all for the advice!

Comment

Keep in mind the OEM Suzuki stock gasket is likely much better quality than the kit from Partsnmore.com. If I can, I always replace engine gaskets with OEM stock regardless of cost. However, many folks have used the Vesrah and alike kits with success.
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

cometic is rumored to make the best head gasket. But they are not cheap.

Comment

Working...
                  X