Electrical Problems, starter? Computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical Problems, starter? Computer?

After taking a 35 min. on my bike I came home to notice a car parked where i needed to go. I turned off my bike, moved the car and when I hit the start button I heard a click noise and all the electronics shut down. I turned the key back and forth and nothing would come on including the dash and head lights. A couple days later I checked the fuses.. all of them were good. I checked the wire connections, they were all good too. So I thought maybe something killed the battery. Sure enough when I hooked jumper cables to the battery all the lights came back on. when i started it it ran rough and didn't sound quite right. While it was running all the lights flickered as the engine struggled a little to get warmed up. The stranges thing of all though is that when i turned the throttle, the bike stumbled and the RPMs dropped to Zero, even though the bike was still running. it never stalled. I have no idea what to make of this situation. Can anyone help me? is my computer blown? what's broken?

has anyone heard of anything like this happening?

I am very confused...

Comment

Sounds like a loose battery connection to me. And perhaps the bike being flooded when starting it via car battery.

Comment

I'd agree on a loose battery ground or bad connection. Plus your bike is designed to run on a fully charged battery and if yours is no good you will get those symptoms.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X