Clutch adjustment, or beyond limits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch adjustment, or beyond limits?

I looked up other clutch issues and didn't see anything like what I seem to be having. The motor seems normal at speed, no clutch engagement while its not supposed to be (not yet anyways).

I have replaced my clutch cable within the last 2-3 months. What I am getting, and seems to have started very recently, is a "lumpy" clutch. Instead of a smooth crecendo affect I get - little clutch, little clutch, little clutch, little clutch, CLUTCH DUMP. This can be a hassle in traffic, especially uphill lines. I have tried to adjust the cable at the case and the lever and the best I get is the same thing at different pull degrees.

I am I just WAY off in adjustment or is this a clutch replacement issue?

Thanks!

Something that may help,,I noted on a gs once,that to longer bolt was put into a clutch cover ,inbeding into the clutch basket.
    you havent replaced bolts lately?

mark

Comment

Nope. I got the bike earlier this year, and the only items related to the clutch that I have touched is the cable.

Comment

was the cable new or used ?? Did you have the problem before you replaced the cable?? sounds like you got a bad cable

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
          was the cable new or used ?? Did you have the problem before you replaced the cable?? sounds like you got a bad cable
          same questions also, are you caying that you ease out on the lever, and the clutch is hanging, then finally suddenly disengages?

Comment

Is the clutch cable lubricated properly?

Comment

I am curious as to how the cable could cause this. My 400 has the same problem where it is very difficult to feather the clutch and keep below 10km/h. I suspect I've done this to myself by frequently dumping the clutch while revving the engine and as a result my clutch cable needs to be adjusted frequently. When it comes to my 1100, I can roll around at 2km/h no problem.

Steve

Comment

I just remembered that I've was running 10w30 in my bike up until a week ago due to cold temperatures. This may be having an effect on the bike but running 10w40 did the same thing to me but I can't recall if it was as bad.

Comment

Working...
                X