A charging question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A charging question?

I'm in the process of buying a new battery since the prev one is dead, but my question is, could a bad R/R damage my battery? I don't know if the R/R I have now is good or not, is there a simple way to check it before I install the new battery?
    Thanks in advanced to anyone with info

Will need a volt-ohmmeter to do much of anything.

Easiest check is to check the voltage (at battery) with engine running in mid-rpms (like 4000 rpm, with fully charged battery). SHould be about 13.5v or 14.0v .

Any checks beyound that require taking things apart and knowing whats what.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Yes, a bad r/r can damage your battery as I found out. Watch out for an sulfur smell, kind of like rotten eggs. This is a good indication that your battery is boiling over which can lead to even bigger problems for you. It can also damage your stator if you continue to run on a battery that you just recharge when not riding. In my case, I had to replace the stator, r/r, and the battery. But once I got everything replaced, I am up and running with no problems.\\/

Comment

Thanks for your help guys.
        Redman is there a chance the new battery could get damage if the R/R is bad and I run the bike for a few minutes to get the voltage at the battery like you said?

Comment

Originally posted by MGS450
          Thanks for your help guys.
          Redman is there a chance the new battery could get damage if the R/R is bad and I run the bike for a few minutes to get the voltage at the battery like you said?
          Yes
          Did you fully charge the battery before install? You should.
          Define a"few minutes" if the system is trying to charge the battery because it was not fully charged prior to install, then yes it could danage the battery.
          having discovered this the hard way..........

Check the voltage as Redman said and make sure the battery is
          fully charged before installing it.
          Keith
          -------------------------------------------
          1980 GS1000S, blue and white
          2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

If you have fully charged the battery BEFORE installing it in the bike, running it for the 5 minutes or so to do a full charging system check will not hurt it.

HOWEVER...on the chance that you DO have a bad R/R, when you are done, disconnect the battery. If one (or more) of the diodes in the rectifier is shorted, it will drain the battery. Usually not fast enough to blow a fuse, but it will drain the battery.

AND...if you are in the process of buying a new battery, treat yourself. Spend a few extra bucks to get a sealed AGM battery. (AGM is a type of construction, not a brand name.) If I remember correctly, the ones I just got for both the 650 and the 850 (same battery) were about $60 from Batteries Plus. With a sealed battery you will get better cranking power, more reserve, and NO WORRIES ABOUT CHECKING THE WATER LEVEL. \\/

Last edited by Steve; 08-11-2006, 09:26 AM.
            sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks again for all your help guys.
              I will follow your advice to diagnose this problem. Quick question? Are these batteries 6 or 12v? My charger has a selector for both 6 and 12v.
              One more thing, How many hours should I keep it charging?

Comment

12 volts. Charge it with a 1 or 2 amp charger. If it's a 14 amp battery a fully discharged battery will take 12-14 hours at 1 amp and half that time at 2 amps.

Comment

Working...
                X